• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can someone explain this pricing scheme?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twump

ok so i'm at compusa today looking for some blank dvd's and being the geek that i am i browse all the comp hardware also. as i'm looking through the networking isle i finally find the netgear WAP thats the same standard as my wireless router. my router runs about $90. now i look at the price of the WAP and its $129!!. isn't a WAP just a wireless hub? how in the bloody blue hell is a WAP more expensive then a wireless router?

here is a link to the WAP.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?sid=3FE39100B9617F&product_code=302619&pfp=BROWSE

and here is a link to the router.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?sid=3FE39100B9617F&product_code=302517&pfp=BROWSE

I have been wanting a couple WAP's because the distance of my router isn't very good indoors, but there is no way i am spending $40 more for a WAP that does less then a router. i may as well go pickup a couple more routers and use them as WAP.

is there something i'm missing here? does this WAP do something i'm not aware of?how can a wireless hub cost more then a wireless router of the same brand and standards?

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
WAPs, although they do the same thing as wireless routers, were meant for larger networks. As such, they are equiped to do extra things, like handoffs (so that if you move out of range of one WAP, and into the range of another, it will seemlessly transfer you over, without a bump in your download). Also has things like RADIUS authentication, or more powerful security methods, like LEAP. Some of them use Power over Ethernet, another thing you will not find in routers. They also tend to have better range, as far as I've heard, because wireless routers are usually defaulted/disabled to a shorter range to reduce radio spamming.

This stuff is for enterprise use, it's not too often you would find a RADIUS server in a home environment, or even more than one router.

lanman31337

It's not a wireless hub, more like a wireless switch. Like su root said, unless you have a gigantic house, or you have a ton of interference, you won't need a wireless access point. Have you done a site survey of your place?

su root: I do believe the cisco aironet series uses POE for their routers and WAPS