• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone give some insight to some questions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiamSevier

Registered
I know, the title is vague, and I also know that I already have two things going against me.

1- I'm a noob to this forum.

and

2- I'm trying to do some one stop shopping to answer my questions, rather than hit a few forums at a time and ask each question individually.

I Have searched, and come up with a few hits on the subjects that I have, but I also want to kill as many birds with one stone, or post, as I can. So here goes. Again, please forgive me for issues 1&2 listed above. ; )

In no particular order, here are the questions that I have.

- I have a Coolermaster Aerogate II and 5 fans that I want to monitor on the same fan channel (bus). Is there a way to tap all 5 fan speed sensors/temp sensors together to attach to one lead on the fan bus controller?

- I have a Lazer LED system ready to wire. I notice that they use standard molex plugs and I want to know if and how I could attach them to a switch, so that I can turn them on and off at my discretion.

- Upon sleeving my PS, I accidentally cliped one of the Floppy molex plugs off. I have a new molex plug I can intall on it, but not sure how to attach new molex pins inside the connector plug to the wires.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. So please, give no shame to the new guy, and be a good sport? ; )

Thanx mates.

Phugbox

<quote> I have a Coolermaster Aerogate II and 5 fans that I want to monitor on the same fan channel (bus). Is there a way to tap all 5 fan speed sensors/temp sensors together to attach to one lead on the fan bus controller </quote>

sadly no, because even if somhow you were able to ge them all on the same channel without frying the controller, you wouldn't be able to get any coherrent information because all the frequencies would be overlapping and causing strange spikes

<quote>- I have a Lazer LED system ready to wire. I notice that they use standard molex plugs and I want to know if and how I could attach them to a switch, so that I can turn them on and off at my discretion.</quote>

yes, all you have to do is cut one of the wires that connects the lazer led to the molex and put a switch in the series.

<quote>- Upon sleeving my PS, I accidentally cliped one of the Floppy molex plugs off. I have a new molex plug I can intall on it, but not sure how to attach new molex pins inside the connector plug to the wires.</quote>

that's probably the trickiest bit. there are some metal bits that attach to the wires and then slip into the molex connector. if you don't have any extras, you'll need to try to steal them from the old wire bits in the old connector, to do that you'll need to get them out, that will require a needle and some creative pushing and prodding to get them out, but it can be done fairly easily, then you need to get the metal pins off the old wire bits and still be able to usethem on the new wire, get them off, crimp them onto the new wire and then slip the ends into the new molex plug in the right order.

happy trails

DeViL_909

Well it is not just any wire that you cut to put the switch in. I believe it has to be one of the hot wires (I think it would be the 12v in this case-yellow wire). There you can put a rocker switch (basic on off switch).

If you are really lazzy about the molex connector, you can alway cut one off from somewhere else and leave extra wire hanging off of it. You can then strip the wires and just twist the two ends together and put electrical tap over it (ultra lazzy :) ). It would be hidden by the sleeving anyway. then you just stick the metal piece back in the molex top. If this is too ghetto for you then you can cut the molex metal pin off and then buy a new set at circuit city and then plave it on the striped wire and crimp it on. just make sure you buy the male molex end.

Phugbox

well no for the lazer leds it's doesn't matter which wire you pick as long as it's either the wire leading or from the leds, take your pick, either way it breaks the circuit
don't matter which

phoenix111384

LiamSevier said:
- I have a Lazer LED system ready to wire. I notice that they use standard molex plugs and I want to know if and how I could attach them to a switch, so that I can turn them on and off at my discretion.
it doesn't matter which wire you use, either one will break the circuit. just strip the wire insulation back, and if you have access to a soldering iron, solder the two wires to the switch. if you have heatshrink tubing, put them on before you attach the wires.

- Upon sleeving my PS, I accidentally cliped one of the Floppy molex plugs off. I have a new molex plug I can intall on it, but not sure how to attach new molex pins inside the connector plug to the wires.
the new molex plug came with pins? if so, i think they should be crimp on pins. again, strip the insulation on each wire back, slide the pin on, crimp it down. make sure you keep you colors right, don't want your floppy exploding :)

Edit: oh and welcome to the forums!!

OP
L

LiamSevier

Registered
Perfect. Thanx guys.

Too bad about the fan issue, but it makes sense if I would have thought about it.

Great idea about the floppy lead replacement. Ghetto or not, it will suffice since the wiring will be hidden within the sleeving anyway.

And thank you for the welcome. I'm looking forward to completing this, along with another rebuild project very soon. Should have pix and specs of these boxes soon.

= ]