• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can someone start a Prescott temp poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionzbelt1

can someone start a Prescott temp poll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think someone should create a poll for prescott temps as more and more people are getting these cpu but are finding it hard to compare temps cause of so many people using the northwood cpu's

My temps are Case 28'c Idle 32'c Load
Cpu 46'c Idle 67'c Load

Load was using Prime 95

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
A poll isn't really necessary. Just a thread with people posting temps and system specs would be enough. Polls are pretty general in nature, and don't usually mean very much regarding this type of thing. Everyone's system is different and there are too many other variables to make it a useful poll of any sort.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Prob. get better temps with a SP-94 HS...Your case temp is rising with your load..You need better case cooling or air flow..Zalmans not know for being a performance cooler.. Check out the SP-94 By, www.thermalright.com See sig of rig below..:thup:

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Your Zalman is just fine. With the same speed 92mm fan, the Zalman cools just as well as the SP-94 and isn't such a pain to remove if you like changing CPU's quite a bit. I'd wait on the XP-120 if I was you.. If you are considering a new HSF.

and remember, Max3's report the CPU temps 8 - 10c too high. So you're really about 38c @ idle..

Thrawn42

a) If you look at his specs he has an IC7-MAX3 so apparently the XP-120 would be out of the question unless he decides to remove his OTES cooling housing.

b) The new BIOS update seems to have stopped the overreporting of temperatures, so I would actually tend to believe his temps are correct.

In either case it would seem you need a better CPU cooler. The 46C at idle seems to be a typical Prescott idle temp although you can bring this down some. Your load temp is unacceptable, though I suppose an exception could be made with Prime95 involved.

I see people always recommending the SP-94 as a cooler although as pointed out above it could be a pain if you're changing coolers/CPUs frequently.

Why do more people not recommend the ThermalTake Pipe101? It has more heat pipes than the SP-94 and clips to the CPU retention bracket? I personally have not used this cooler yet, but it would seem to be an ideal if not better substitute for the SP-94.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
a) Good point. The XP-120 will fit, but it does require removing the OTES housing, fitting the heatsink, then remounting the unit - although a XP-120 with a 120mm fan will probably cool everything on the top half of the motherboard. I'd just leave the OTES off and let that 120mm blow freely.

b) I hadn't heard about the new bios, so that's a good point. Orion did you get the latest bios?

I hadn't seen the Pipe101 but it looks like a nice unit, plus it also takes 90mm fans.

Dcasole

orionzbelt1,
System 32
Cpu 42 Idle 48c when gaming and 55c under heavy load
( measured with speedfan)

2.8 e overclocked at 3.55 and using the default Vcore

I have just installed an SP94 and it did not make much difference in my temps as they stayed the same. It did make a big difference in the speed in which the CPU cools down after running an application

I see people always recommending the SP-94 as a cooler although as pointed out above it could be a pain if you're changing coolers/CPUs frequently.
I do not understand why it is a pain in you are changing just the CPU? Removing 4 screws and lift of the heatsink has proved to be a lot easier with the SP-94 than trying to unclip my stock HSF.

I can see this reasoning if you are going to change out the HSF completely as it was a pain as you do have to remove the motherboard

Dave

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
It's a bit of a pain only because since there is no room to 'work' the HS loose from the CPU, it tends to pull the CPU right out of the socket.

Dcasole

mattspalace, OH that is what you are talking about !!

You are sooooooooooo right . I forgot about that !!!

the first time I removed the SP-94 it took the processor with it and I amost Cr#$p my pants

Lucky for me it did not bend any pins

Dave

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Yeah, other than that I really liked the SP-94, but I was always a little afraid about damaging my CPU. Didn't though - The first time I about pooped my pants too!

OP
O

orionzbelt1

quote I hadn't heard about the new bios, so that's a good point. Orion did you get the latest bios?

I have bios 1.6 or 16 is it also i am thinking about buying a thermaltake tsunami with clear side so i can attach a 120mm fan and duct it straight to the cpu h/s