• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone suggest a Video Card for this build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
at that resolution take a pick from the gtx980's should be plenty of horsepower to last you a few years atleast.

I would go with a gtx 980 or gtx 980ti if you can swing it. That should drive that monitor for the next few years.

If you need to pinch pennies to make it too these cards you can save some money by going with a smaller PSU. unless you plan to sli down the road a 650w psu should be plenty.

Also looking at your ram. It is not a great idea to buy an 8gb kits and put them together to get a 16gb kit. If you want 16gb of ram buy either a 4x4gb or 2x8gb kit. You will have less issues that way.

I would purchase a EVGA GTX 980 Ti so it will last a long time and they have a trade up program.

Last edited:
My GTX 970 is maxed on a lot of games like BF4 crysis 3 averaging 60 FPS with 1080p and it is running like a GTX 980 because it is overclocked I get a extra 8 FPS.

970 / 980, 290 / 290X / 390 / 390X. Any of them will give you good frame rates in 1080. My personal suggestion would either by the 390X or the 980....leaning toward the 980.

given the mouse and keyboard, Im guessing this is an MMO centric build. In that regard, my 390x crushes all mmo's at 1440p. That said, if you can hold off for just a bit, some new architecture gpu's are coming out. I would sincerely recommend you wait.

My GTX 970 is maxed on a lot of games like BF4 crysis 3 averaging 60 FPS with 1080p and it is running like a GTX 980 because it is overclocked I get a extra 8 FPS.

BF4 should be in the 80-90 range with a 970 @ 1080P.

980 Ti is almost 50% faster than that == overkill at that resolution.

Also, OP, a 500-600w quality PSU will be more than enough. 850 is more than you'd need even with SLI Maxwell.

And you can get a lot more keyboard than the K95 for $180...

A 970 will be great for that resolution...a 980 is a bit extra...a 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p, but if you have the $$ I would go that way.

Also - take a second look at those fans...they can be loud...I'm not a big fan of those fans.

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. 970 is more in my price range, being around 350$ each.
Can you point me towards this new architecture?
as far as the fans, they do produce a little hum, at the moment they are not being controlled.
as always suggestions would be nice as some quieter fans, both 120mm and 140mm and both high airflow and static pressure fans
I like blue, my fav color so nice blue leds would be nice too.
Would anti vibration fan gaskets help?

BF4 should be in the 80-90 range with a 970 @ 1080P.

It drops down to 50FPS when the action gets intense, just when you need it to be 80-90FPS.

These are the new games out this year 2015.
Star Wars Battlefront

Recommended PC System Requirements

Processor (Intel): Intel i5 6600 or equivalent
Memory: 16GB RAM
Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Need for speed
And the recommended requirements for 1080p and 60fps at high settings:
•Windows 7 or later
•Intel Core i5-4690 or equivalent with four hardware threads
•8GB RAM
•NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB, AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB, or equivalent DX11 compatible GPU with 4GB memory
•30 GB free space

Last edited:
I've noticed no difference between BF4 and Battlefront in terms of performance. They optimized it very well, despite what the marketing requirements say.

I've noticed no difference between BF4 and Battlefront in terms of performance. They optimized it very well, despite what the marketing requirements say.
Of cores not you have a overclocked GB GTX 980 G1 running like a GTX 980Ti.

Back