• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can somone reccommend a good power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyDee291

Hi, I've posted here many times about various overclocking issues and figured out that my power supply is the cause of them. I have a Allied 350 watt power supply now and I need someone to suggest a good power supply 400 watts and up for under 60 bucks and it has to be quiet with fan monitoring. Thanks.

diggingforgold

I like Antec PSU's. They have temp controlled fans and are quiet.

AS far as price, you would have to go online to get a price under $60. I payed that much at best buy for my 350W.

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Allieds are complete garbage... very high failure rate and badly designed.

My suggestions are Sparkle/Fortron 350+, HEC/Compucase 350+, and Antec/Channel Well 400+.

OP
TommyDee291

TommyDee291

Thanks for all the numerous replies! I heard that Antecs are very good. What is with the Sparkle/Forton? Are they really good? Why doesn't anyone like allied? Mine is fine, but the voltages sometimes flucuate, but thats a given with all my components. The only thing I can think bad of this 350 watt Allied is that the fan is making a slight noise that is bothering me... Keep the suggestions comming!

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
Whats bad with the Allied is the fact that it flucuates. CPU's, Memory, Vid all need consistant power. When the power dips they all strain to keep working. throw a overclock into this and you have nothing but trouble. Go for the 350 sparkle. You won't be disapointed. And you wont spend extra $ on a name.

Oklahoma Wolf

If you've heard the horror stories about Deer PSU's, then I am sad to report you've also heard them about Allied - same company (Foxconn) makes them both, along with Austin, L&C, and US-Can units :(

I have a 250 US-Can unit right next to me - it's a prime example of how not to build a PSU. There is no overvoltage, overcurrent, or short circuit protection in it at all.

OP
TommyDee291

TommyDee291

Well.... I've done some exaustive researching about various power supplies. I've found over the past year that newegg has the cheapest prices, so I will be doing my shopping there. It seems that my mind is stuck between either a Sparkle 400 watt, or an Allied 450 True Power. I know how everyone says that allied is a bad company. But give them a chance! This 450 Watt true power got very very very good reviews on newegg and is very very cheap compared to the Antecs etc. You all have to keep in mind that I am on a very tight budget. I am only 15 and I have no job. So I am just relying on the money I get through chores etc. I really do not want to spend 60 bucks on the 400 watt Sparkle so as of now, I am going to get the Allied 450 True Power for only 48 bucks including shipping and tax. Any Comments?

OP
TommyDee291

TommyDee291

With further consideration, I am probably going to go with the Allied 400 Watt. I don't really need the extra 50 watts that the other model offers (although who knows) and the 400 watt model has a fan on the bottom of the PSU which would suck air away from the cpu and blow it out. Which is better than the 450 watt. Both models got very good ratings though. Everybody that reviewed both of them on newegg didn't have a problem with them at all and had 1-3% flucuations in voltages.

Hookem

You can do what you want...But you have been warned...The 350watt Sparkle from xpdirect is a great power supply that will last you for years to come...The Allied you are considering is nothing but pure junk...And no match for any 350watt Sparkle/Fortron...Be smart and take the advice you are getting...Sparkle/Fortron are the best bang for buck power supply's on the planet...Not only that the quality is right there with any power supply at any price...Why buy something that most people will tell you are bad??? Just buy the 350 or 400 Sparkle/Fortron and know that you have one of the best built, most reliable, long lasting power supplys on the planet... :) You can get the 380 Antec TruePower for around 60 that adjust fan speeds according to system temperatures if you just have to have that feature...Do the Allieds???

dustybyrd

You can do what you want...But you have been warned...The 350watt Sparkle from xpdirect is a great power supply that will last you for years to come...The Allied you are considering is nothing but pure junk...And no match for any 350watt Sparkle/Fortron...Be smart and take the advice you are getting...Sparkle/Fortron are the best bang for buck power supply's on the planet...Not only that the quality is right there with any power supply at any price...Why buy something that most people will tell you are bad??? Just buy the 350 or 400 Sparkle/Fortron and know that you have one of the best built, most reliable, long lasting power supplys on the planet... :) You can get the 380 Antec TruePower for around 60 that adjust fan speeds according to system temperatures if you just have to have that feature...Do the Allieds???

and not just all that (that i agree with too)....

but you can get the 350 watt fortron for only $32 at www.newegg.com...(the only difference is it's a little louder than the $48 one with the 120mm fan)

check these links out before you buy:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...=58&manufactory=1919&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/powersupplies-15.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/powersupplies-07.html#maximum_output_overload_test

OP
TommyDee291

TommyDee291

Ok Ok Ok... I won't get an Allied! Unless someone can find me a good quality power supply on Newegg for under 60 (Under 50 would be better) 400 watts or better, with Low Noise, Fan Monitoring/Control and preferably 2 fans for less heat. Good Luck.

Oklahoma Wolf

If you go to the Fortron/Source page at newegg, you'll find the 350 for $32 and the 400 for $60. Not sure how they are on fan noise, but the 350 has been shown to exceed its ratings by a whole lot. It can put out more power than any Allied 400w+ unit. Personally this is the one I'd get. It's a single fan unit, but it has thermal control.

Too bad they don't have the 350 with the 120mm fan - those are some sweet units.

Edit - took me too long to post... follow dustybyrd's advice ;)

OP
TommyDee291

TommyDee291

I would get another 350, but I am not sure if it will be able to power all my components and let me overclock. See this is my problem. Thats why I need a new PSU in the first place. I can't post at 2.4 ghz because I don' t have enough power and I don't want to buy another 350 watt and have it not work. BTW, that is one wierd looking powersupply dustybyrd.