• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can The KR7A-RAID Do 166MHz FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Milkman

It should, just remeber that at 166 fsb the Pci will still be at 1/4 divisor so as long as the hardware is up to the task of running out of spec give it a try, I know I had mine at 180 fsb before. Good Luck, oh and by the way keep up the Sweet Avatars man!!

mamer

OP
OC-Master

OC-Master

mamer said:
It should, just remeber that at 166 fsb the Pci will still be at 1/4 divisor so as long as the hardware is up to the task of running out of spec give it a try, I know I had mine at 180 fsb before. Good Luck, oh and by the way keep up the Sweet Avatars man!!

mamer

I thought the KR7A (KT266A) has a 1/5 Divider that kicks in at like 162MHz FSB or something. I could be wrong but I think I'm right somewhere here, no?

OC-Master

madsam

the kr7a does not have a 5th div, however if you get the kt266a chipset, and not the kt266, the kt266a has been known to run higher fsb in the 4th div, than any other chipset. it has gotten to 200+ fsb with the right components. as mentioned above, it's going to depend on the other hardware's ability to run the high bus speeds. you won't be bottlenecked by the kt266a

KamiMazi

Registered
The newest bios lets you go up to 200 FSB. I have gotten as high as 185, but that's with Corsair 2700 and slowest timings. But for your customer, he'd probably want another board with higher divisors than 1/4.

BTW, this is with the 266a chipset. The 266's were crap... just like these 400's.

Cisco Kid

so overall is this a decent board or what as I have bought a used KR7A-133 raid from a friend for a good deal , $50 Canadian ($33 US).

I wanted a good stable raid board and it came in the box with manuals and everything else.COLOR=orangered]good stable raid board [/COLOR]

I will be happy if I can get the 166 fsb as my setup now does it but I wanna play with raid and see what the performance increase is with another 60 gig ata100 maxtor drive. My gear is in my sig, will the outa wack pci speeds cause me issues?

Cisco Kid

Last edited:

RuKK

I love my KR7A. Got it for 183 cdn, then the next day it dropped to 150. Anyway, best board I have owned, and a great overclocker. I just need a AXP with a mature stepping and good cooling to push it to its limits. It should do 166 FSB without much trouble.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
madsam said:
the kr7a does not have a 5th div, however if you get the kt266a chipset, and not the kt266, the kt266a has been known to run higher fsb in the 4th div, than any other chipset. it has gotten to 200+ fsb with the right components. as mentioned above, it's going to depend on the other hardware's ability to run the high bus speeds. you won't be bottlenecked by the kt266a

There is absolutely no reason why you would want to run your PCI at 50 MHz+. At that speed you're likely to fry anything that plugs into the board including the southbridge. The primary purpose of overclocking the FSB is to increase the speed and capacity of the system bus between the RAM and the CPU. AGP can benefit from moderate overclocks also, but PCI speed has always been seen as a limiting factor rather than something to overclock. You're not going to impress anyone with a 50 MHz PCI speed, because 50 MHz PCI and 100 MHz AGP in and of themselves will get you very little.

Yes, you can gain marginal speed improvements by running your PCI up to about 40 MHz but anything beyond that is at too much risk for scrambling HD's and frying PCI cards. Stick with KT333 or better if you want to run 166+ FSB.

tom_ozahoski

I have posted with my kr7a-raid and xp1600+ at 210FSB! but it wont run reliable over 175fsb but i get better memory scores at 150fsb due to faster memory settings:beer:

J

JPS0

FWIW: I have been running by KR7A-R at 167 FSB for over a year with no problems: Here are the specs

KR7A-Raid
AXP 1600+ w/ AX-7 hs + Panaflo quiet fan
512MB Mushkin PC2100 @ 2-3-3-6-2T & 4WI
Radeon VIVO
Linksys NIC
Maxtor 20GB
Maxtor 80GB w/ 8MB cache
Lite-ON 32X CD-R/W

Cisco Kid

JPS0 said:
FWIW: I have been running by KR7A-R at 167 FSB for over a year with no problems: Here are the specs

KR7A-Raid
AXP 1600+ w/ AX-7 hs + Panaflo quiet fan
512MB Mushkin PC2100 @ 2-3-3-6-2T & 4WI
Radeon VIVO
Linksys NIC
Maxtor 20GB
Maxtor 80GB w/ 8MB cache
Lite-ON 32X CD-R/W

I am looking forward to asking you some questions here is my planned gear finally putting together a system for my wife cause we are moving into our new home this Thursday WooT.

Here are my specs

KR7A-Raid v 1.0 ( I do not know what bios is on it)
Mushkin 512 PC2100 222 - Black Hi Perf Level II DDR
41 GB IBM Hard Drive (waiting for RMA so do not know what I will get back but should be better than the Deskstar (deathstar)
XP2100 Retail great stepping plan to use my Barton 2500 sink/fan
Cheap sound card to come
D LInk nic card
17" Case with Enermax 350 PSU and a Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 rear exaust fan

Cisco KID

Lvcoyote

Overclocked Moderator, Overclockers.com Lead Edito
Been running system as in my sig for over a year with no probs.....getting bored though......this system has been rock solid since I put it together.......GL!

Lvcoyote

Cisco Kid

Well I am learing as I go along, are there any people running the Xp2100 on this board without vmods of any sorts? Is this possible?

Cisco KID