• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can this work??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bradco

Hey everyone!! I'm fairly new at this so here's the question....

What I have is 3 hard drives: 2 of them are IDE [C: drive(40 gig), and D: drive (120 gig). The other one is a SATA II 200 gig which I partioned into a 40 and a 160 gig. The mobo is a gigabyte SLI board.

I have XP pro on my C: drive(of course), but I want to put 64bit XP pro on my SATA 40 gig(I: drive).

Oh, I've got an AMD64 3000+ CPU..........CAN THIS WORK?????????

Do I need more info to give to U????

If I can't, do I have to come off of my C: drive and partion that?????

Thanks........only prob, when I boot up with my windows disk, and it tells me where I'm going to put the OS, it will only give me my 2 IDE drives (C: & D:)...no I: or J: drives(partioned SATA drive)...what do I need to do???

Something in my BIOS???

You'll need to install the SATA controller drivers, available from the MB manufacturer's website... and install them during the F6 portion of Setup. Setup won't be able to recognize the controller until after you load the drivers into memory. You may have also received a floppy disk with your MB, which contains the drivers for the controller.

When XP setup starts, you'll arrive at a blue screen which at the bottom says "Press F6 if you want to specify additional SCSI/RAID controllers"...press F6 (make sure that if you have a keyboard w/ an F Lock key, you depress it before hitting F6). When asked to do so, press S to specify additional drivers, insert the floppy disk containing the controller drivers, then continue the install as normal.

Last edited:
I did exactly as you said, but I still can't get any other drives other than my C: drive...which means I'll have to re-write over my XP OS already on there.

How did you go about formatting and partitioning the SATA HDD, in other words was it done on this PC... and if so, by what method? If you prepared the drive on another computer, then installed it into your present rig, did you remember to enable the SATA controller in the BIOS? As long as the controller is enabled, and you've installed the controller drivers, then XP shouldn't have a problem recognizing the drive.

I just thought of this, but make sure the drivers you've installed during Setup are compatible with the 64bit version of XP. I doubt if the driver disk that came with the MB contains 64bit drivers, so check at the manufacturer's sites of both the MB and the onboard SATA controller.

Last edited:
Is the Sata drive detected during POST? If not you need to check the drives power connection & cableing, and also BIOS settings for SATA. Unless you are installing RAID you don't need drivers.

Back