• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you hook up Cold Cathodes to 12v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebm

I just bought a dual cathode kit from case-mod and was wondering if I could just cut the wires and then wire it to a 12v source, like in my car to light up the interior. Has anyone done this or something like it?

OP
E

ebm

excellent..i guess i am goign to start slicing and dicing and see i can get it to go, thanx.

Mr. $T$

The 12v rail will not power it in fact you might kill somthing (like hardware), what the inverter does it take that 12v and reduces the amps to make thousands of volts and that is used to power the cold cat tube.

johnny5c

I have 4 Sunbeam CCFL's in the amp/sub case in my truck. I hooked the positive wire from the inverter to a 12v relay the controls my lights and fans and the ground wire to a ground block. If you wanted to skip adding a switch, you could wire it to your head light switch so they will trun on with the running lights. One warning, they don't seem to like cold weather. They are much dimmer when the temp drops below freezing. I've worked in custom car audio and video for years so if you need any help you can PM me.