• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you install any Linux distros on sandy bridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

Have an Arch linux distro ISO on a usb drive. This sandy bridge build I made with old parts not allowing me to install the iso tho.

Can you install any Linux distros on sandy bridge?

Absolutely.

Have an Arch linux distro ISO on a usb drive. This sandy bridge build I made with old parts not allowing me to install the iso tho.
I don't believe your hardware is the issue, what specifically is the .iso you're trying to install, and how did you create it?

So I think you're right. I was trying to boot and install from the first iso image I downloaded. I need to convert it to being installation media. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a software to do it with. Any suggestions?

So I think you're right. I was trying to boot and install from the first iso image I downloaded. I need to convert it to being installation media. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a software to do it with. Any suggestions?
If you are using Windows there's Rufus - https://rufus.ie/en/ In Ubuntu you can find unetbootin in Synaptic package manager, or download it from the link.
Using dd in terminal is an option that is simple and direct. Example: Let's say you downloaded debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-mate.iso to your downloads directory. You would change directory
(type "cd ~/Downloads"), then type " dd if=~debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-mate.iso of=/dev/sdx)" , sdx being your usb drive(check drive letter with "df" first.

+1 for rufus on Windows. Super easy. If you're on linux & choose the dd option, you need to make sure you're copying directly to the device & NOT a partition.
ihrsetrdr said:
dd if=~debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-mate.iso of=/dev/sdx

Note that there is no number afterward. Also, `df` only shows mounted filesystems. `lsblk` will give you a better idea of what you have connected (it needs to be unmounted anyway for the dd to work).

Another option is to install ventoy on the USB drive & drop your arch iso (and any other live usb isos you want/can fit) into the drive:

+1 for rufus on Windows. Super easy. If you're on linux & choose the dd option, you need to make sure you're copying directly to the device & NOT a partition.

Note that there is no number afterward. Also, `df` only shows mounted filesystems. `lsblk` will give you a better idea of what you have connected (it needs to be unmounted anyway for the dd to work).

Another option is to install ventoy on the USB drive & drop your arch iso (and any other live usb isos you want/can fit) into the drive:
Thanks, my error, "sudo dd bs=4M if=debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-mate.iso of=/dev/sdx" where x is the letter of your usb drive will create a bootable media.

Arch is as difficult to get up an running as anything. If you can't install Mint, Ubuntu, or MX; then I'd say it's a hardware thing. I bounced off Arch pretty quickly myself, but it is much more of the "old school" Linux where you have to find packages and prerequisites and all that (from the terminal initially) to make anything work.

Last edited:
Arch isn't THAT hard if you have some technical knowledge/aptitude & at least basic Linux skills. Their documentation is thorough. Also, being that their iso is pretty much barebones in terms of not having a guided gui installer, it should at least load to the point of getting to a terminal prompt.

I never install any OS on Sandy Bridge, it will fall over, I install on a firm bedrock foundation :rofl: :chair::escape:

I had a issue with a AMD system where I could not install from DVD, turned out to be a BIOS setting, hope you get yours running.

Last edited:
Arch is as difficult to get up an running as anything. If you can't install Mint, Ubuntu, or MX; then I'd say it's a hardware thing. I bounced of Arch pretty quickly myself, but it is much more of the "old school" Linux where you have to find packages and prerequisites and all that to make anything work.
The Arch-Linux derivatives like Garuda, Arco-linux, and Manjaro are drop dead easy to install, as easy as Mint or Ubuntu. The big 'plus' in going with Arch or Arch based is that they are rolling releases.

The Arch-Linux derivatives like Garuda, Arco-linux, and Manjaro are drop dead easy to install, as easy as Mint or Ubuntu. The big 'plus' in going with Arch or Arch based is that they are rolling releases.
Yeah, I think the main thing for me was trying to get a functional system when you're pretty much starting with a terminal and not much to go on unless you have a laptop to the side with instructions. I know that's part of the fun of Linux. And I totally recognize the benefits of Arch, I just didn't want to get that deep in the weeds. I did manage to get some Slackware distros to work, but that was as technical as I got. I was more trying to say to OP that they could test that it wasn't a hardware compatibility issue by using an easier to install distro. I realize now as I'm re-reading the issue appeared to be with the ISO itself, not with the actual install process.

Hardcore Arch users would argue that Manjaro has deviated to the point of not being considered Arch-based anymore. I have no opinion on the matter. The point of Linux is using what works for you & the ability to customize your workflow.

Hardcore Arch users would argue that Manjaro has deviated to the point of not being considered Arch-based anymore. I have no opinion on the matter. The point of Linux is using what works for you & the ability to customize your workflow.
I seen that sentiment expressed on the Endeavouros forum. Perhaps Manjaro is to Arch Linux as Ubnutu is to Debian, very easy peasy, to appeal to Windows converts. I have Manjaro on my wife's laptop, a nice upgrade from Win 10.

Back