• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you multiplier unlock the VIA C3 CPU??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Will the motherboard support mulitplier changes? I'm sure everything post Pentium from Intel is mulitplier locked - will the motherboards actually support that feature?

Monaco

every Intel mobo I have ever had came with a multiplier adjustment, even my store-bought HP has it for some reason. I guess they just like to tease us:)

I did have an unlocked P2 333, boy that was fun...too bad it maxed out at 500.

As far as the C3 being unlocked...probably! Most earlier C3s were unlocked, so there is a good bet that ones based on the newest core are too...but I can't guarantee it.

Cowboy X

That should make for some interesting overclocking especially since the chip can run so cool . If that works via may get some good performance numbers ( still a big IF ).

Revx

yeh i can see it now, over clock it to 2ghz and you get the equivalent of a pIII 800 lol

OP
strokeside

strokeside

Yes, but that's a PIII 800 equivalent for only $40, which is a bit of a saving, and you can boast about the exclusive C3 overclockers club you are in.(population: you)

OP
strokeside

strokeside

Yes, but that's a PIII 800 equivalent for only $40, which is a small bit of a saving, and you can boast about the exclusive C3 overclockers club you are in.(population: you)

Revx

yeh but for 50 bucks you can get a duron 1ghz which surpasses the PIII800

Monaco

I think the whole point is that the C3 is something new to tinker around with. Also it's a chance for us Intel users to OC with the multiplier for a change:)

All the reviews I've read show that the 800mhz C3 is about equal to a P3 500 for half the cost. Not to mention the C3 does not require a fan, so it's totally silent...I think the C3 is freakin badass, even tho it's a bit slow. Good for all but games- if you are building a firewall box, MP3 box, storage server, pretty much anything that does not require breakneck speed, the C3 is your chip. Cheap and silent, hell of a good combo!

The real question is- Do they work in SMP?? wow, that would be a great & cheap way to dive into the dually world....:D

LiGhTBoY

Can they be installed on any Intel mobo( socket-370 )? Just asking because of the firewall idea.(of course the case has to be small , silent and preferably portable-AH the Shuttle case :))This case has an intel mobo so can they be put (even hammered :D ) in there?
Thanks

Cowboy X

Yes u can use it in most if not all intel boards once the board can accept the ghz .

The only issue will be if the bios officially recognizes it . Most new ones do .

Athlonman

I have the Via C3 550 And I plan to overclock it but I just don't have a good heat sync for it. I would But my old socket A heat sync on it but to many Capacitors in the way. Any one have any suggestions for a good one to try?