• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you really apply a flat/even layer of Artic Silver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Len

Having applied AS to my Glaciator twice using the old 'finger' technique I then discovered that AS has instructions on their web site. So I applied it again carefully following all the steps including the cleaning and heatsink 'tinting' (something I never even thought of before). Everything went well until I got to the step of trying to apply a THIN/EVEN layer of AS on the CPU core? Is this really possible? I tried for about an hour and I couldn't get even close to the smooth appearance in the photo in the instructions. The razor seems to drag the AS resulting in thin spots or if I use less pressure there are bumps because I couldn't hold the razor perfectly level and flat with just the right amount of pressure ... I eventually just gave up and accepted a not-so-smoot layer of AS covering the core. I guess I did something right because my load temps appear to be down 1-2C. I think it was the 'tinting' that made the biggest difference.

So my question is ... is it really possible to get an even flat layer as described in the instructions? If so, how did you manage to do it?

In the process of degreasing the HS baseplate and core, I usually manage to get my index finger pretty darn clean. I use the finger method. If I err on the side of too generous, it squeezes out and self-levels just fine. I mean c'mon now, we're applying thermal grease here, not doping silicon layers in an IC
Fab plant. ;D

Hoot

Hoot, I would tend to agree with you that the application doesn't need to be perfect but if you read the AS instruction they put the fear in you!! They talk about finger prints affecting thermal properties!

Hoot, weren't you waiting on a Glaciator so you could do some testing?

BTW, does anyone know if you get AS or ASII with a Glaciator?

Believe me, after working a paper towel soaked with solvent, there are no fluids left on your finger to leave a print with. I would not wipe off my forehead with my finger and then do it, but that's just common sense.

My Glaciator is slated to arrive tomorrow. I hope to have a report into the cooling forum by Monday. It will be fun to A/B it against an MC-462A with the Delta fan, on a 96W setup. No wimpy Sanyo Denki fan.

Hoot

Let me give a little advice ... the clip on the Glaciator is even easier than it looks. Just follow the instructions which say to use your forefinger and thumb to attach the clip. You do NOT need a lot of pressure or force at all to get the clip attached. I made this mistake the first time I put on the Glaciator. It was my first 'real' Socket-A cooler and even though reviews said the clip was easy I thought they meant 'relatively' easy. My first time I used too much pressure and ended up putting a scratch in the Glaciator bottom (the width of the CPU core) and took a tiny chip out of the corner of my CPU core. Thankfully, no damage.

Hoot, since you have a lot of experience with this stuff I'm sure you'll have no trouble but for anyone new to socket-a heatsinks, just go easy with the Glaciator. You don't need to work hard to get it installed.

And it detaches even easier. I've installed it 3 times now and have never used any tools to do it. Only my fingers.

If the manufacturers of ASII think that a finger print throws off thermal conductivity, they need to get outside, because the glue fumes are getting to them.

What's going to happen when you use your finger? Your going to make ridges in the grease. These WILL flatten out when you put your kabillion PSI heatsink clip on.

I went to their page. Those guys gotta be on crack.

I use a piece of seran wrap pulled tightly around my finger :) It works fairly well when using stock HSF's (that's all i've used for my stuff, tried a gorb and lapped it, but now it's a cooler for my amp :) ) I haven't tried using anything else, since my only method of buying right now is plain old cash..........no one accepts cash over the net :'(

Kingslayer (Jul 05, 2001 06:10 p.m.):
If the manufacturers of ASII think that a finger print throws off thermal conductivity, they need to get outside, because the glue fumes are getting to them.

What's going to happen when you use your finger? Your going to make ridges in the grease. These WILL flatten out when you put your kabillion PSI heatsink clip on.

I went to their page. Those guys gotta be on crack.

Nope they just know so much more about themal interfaces than the average overclocker that the concepts presented may seem a bit absurd to the uneducated.

There are oils in your skin that will contaminate the thermal interface if you use your finger. To understand this, you need to think on a microscopic scale.

I just apply it with a razor blade. I squeeze a drop onto my cpu, then I smooth it out with a razor blade... Works good for me....

Colin (Jul 06, 2001 04:03 p.m.):
[There are oils in your skin that will contaminate the thermal interface if you use your finger. To understand this, you need to think on a microscopic scale.

Probably equal to the silicone oil carrier. I think they are claiming skin flakes get in the goo. It could. Skin layers could possibly be thicker than the glop after it squeezes down. More likely this is professional salesman hype to befuddle the marks and get them to fork over the hefty price.

If you got the Ag glop on perfectly to within thousands of an inch, by the time you manhandle the heatsink onto the clips, the uneven pressures exerted would nullify your efforts. The ONLY way an effective layer can result is if the stuff squeezes and flows slowly under pressure to fill the gaps in the interface and then stops.

Due to the great rep of this particular glop, I bought the stuff. In my case, and after numerous tries in which the temp actually increases a bit, the end result is exactly the same temp as the normal white stuff. ( I used their methods to the best of my ability.) Possibly the Ag gooey keeps its thermal efficiency better with time.

A finger print is two thousandths of an inch thick. Think about it.

Back