• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you suggest games based on this description?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
So I am trying to find a certain style of game. They must exist from a developer.

Basically my wife and I enjoy playing games like "Castleville" for those who dont know, basically you harvest trees, mine minerals, build houses, collect rent etc. Basically its almost like Age of Empires without the forced battles.

I was trying to browse for games but was having trouble kind of narrowing it down. We are not looking for online games (i.e. browser games) but rather games we can buy (we are sick of the 'waiting for energy' sort of game)

So basically we want to gather goods, and build cities etc.

I know you more seasoned people will have suggestions for me

Thanks in advance!

MIAHALLEN

Sounds a lot like Anno 1701 to me. I have not played Anno 1404 or 2070, but I've heard they were even better. I thought 1701 was pretty good :)

Tropico 3 was also very good, I'd imagine 4 will also be great :)

Last edited:
OP
Stratus_ss

Stratus_ss

Anno looks kinda like what I am interested in! thanks, I will check it out

Tropico... not so much I own the first three and love it, but isn't quite what I am looking for (mostly what my wife is looking for)

psionic98

I was looking at the anno series as well just for kicks when i dont want to get ticked off a 12 yr old is woopin on me :p they look promising

Neuromancer

I like the waging war opart of AOE3, but defintiely enjoy the creation aspects of it better. Going to have to look into those ANNO games.

I normally hang the sim city style (sim city 4, SC societies, city life etc). SC4 defintiely the best of any of those, but I am tickled with the improved graphics and reduced gameplay of the newer games as well.

OP
Stratus_ss

Stratus_ss

I like the waging war opart of AOE3, but defintiely enjoy the creation aspects of it better. Going to have to look into those ANNO games.

I normally hang the sim city style (sim city 4, SC societies, city life etc). SC4 defintiely the best of any of those, but I am tickled with the improved graphics and reduced gameplay of the newer games as well.

completely agree!

I am also a huge Sim tower/city tycoon playin kinda guy.

Cities XL isn't a bad substitute for SC4 but Maxis really should create another simcity.

Still open for suggestions of others. Additionally I could only find Anno 2070 for sale right now... still looking around

MIAHALLEN

If you're into transportation planning, I've actually really enjoyed "Cities in Motion"....there are areas for improvement, but overall a very enjoyable sim :thup:

OP
Stratus_ss

Stratus_ss

I will definitely check that out....

Though I was looking for my wife :D and she is not a transport sim person (I played TTD forever, in fact i still install and play it from time to time)

EDIT: Cities in Motion was $15 for all the DLC/expansion packs + Original game on Steam right now so I grabbed it (60% off)

Last edited:

Douken

Pharaoh-Enhancement-Pack_1.jpg

That game is awesome. If you can find it lol

Wikipedia

Last edited:
OP
Stratus_ss

Stratus_ss

I had stumbled across it a few times at Zellers etc never really caught my interest

Theocnoob

So I am trying to find a certain style of game. They must exist from a developer.

Basically my wife and I enjoy playing games like "Castleville" for those who dont know, basically you harvest trees, mine minerals, build houses, collect rent etc. Basically its almost like Age of Empires without the forced battles.

I was trying to browse for games but was having trouble kind of narrowing it down. We are not looking for online games (i.e. browser games) but rather games we can buy (we are sick of the 'waiting for energy' sort of game)

So basically we want to gather goods, and build cities etc.

I know you more seasoned people will have suggestions for me

Thanks in advance!

CIVILIZATION IV. Period.
Remember to turn it off by 5am. You do need sleep.

5 was a disaster. 4 is the crown jewel.

Metlcub

Also a little older game, thats simple, dont realy need to collect, but you build stuff and maintain rices would be Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, or even Sim City 4.

\dev\goat

man /dev/goat
CIVILIZATION IV. Period.
Remember to turn it off by 5am. You do need sleep.

5 was a disaster. 4 is the crown jewel.

As someone who played civ 2 when it came out for more consecutive hours than any 9 or 10 year old should have ever been allowed to, when civ 3 came out I considered that the "crown jewel". 4 seemed like an alien game to me, it just felt clunky and weird. Now that 5 is out I really enjoy the new combat system, although I do kinda miss being able to stack units, and being able to kill stacks of units. I also get frustrated with the city defense system sometimes too. The big cities can just knock out entire battalions while you're sieging them and pillaging. It's almost stupid to try to capture a large city without a unit in every adjacent tile or some form of artillery. But other than that I really like the game, great transition from 3. More trimmed down and smoother. I will still play civ 3 from time to time when I want that hardcore feeling again.

Oh and I miss the tax/government system :(

Whoever's bad idea it was to replace those with an all inclusive happiness system is not my friend