• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you tell me if my thought process is correct on over clocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xplore

So basically I OC'd my Q6600 yesterday from 2.4 to 3.2 GHz. I used the AUTO function for the Vcc, FSB Voltage, and set my RAM Voltage to 2.1 (rec.). I then set my RAM timings as specified by my manufacturer (5-5-5-18) and disabled all the options like C1E and SpreadSpectrum.

I then booted, ran Stress testing for about an hour and monitored my temps.

If I didn't get errors or crashed (BSOD) I would then go back into BIOS and lower my Vcc say 5 notches below what it was currently at. I left everything else still on AUTO. I booted, ran stress testing, if failure occurred I upped the Vcc one notch, and repeated.

I now sit at 3.2 GHz with mild load temps (soon to be corrected) and would like to push this thing farther. I'm going to attempt 3.8 tomorrow and if that is just not possible, 3.6.

I read that max vcc was 1.5 for the Q6600 and that above that you will probably fry your chip. Is this true?

Other questions -

I'm running in unlinked mode (not 1:1 ratio, and I didn't set the DRAM:QDR ratio in the BIOS, unlinked does it for you I suppose) and I read that this is also called asynchronous mode. It can often mean adjusting other voltages like your NB, ICH, etc etc.

The thing is, I don't know where that is in my BIOS (couldn't find it) but I did see 3 things with voltages that I don't know about.

The SPP voltage, the NP voltage(or something like this), and the SPP <-> NP voltage (the medium between the SPP and NP). These are on AUTO but I feel like good OC actually put in voltages for these. Should I use the same process as I did for my Vcc?

EDIT*

More Questions :

I'm trying to work out the lowest Vcc right now and I keep freezing up (no BSOD, everything just freezes and stays that way until I reboot). So I went into BIOS and put my vcc back to AUTO just to see what voltage its setting it at. The Mobo sets it at 1.4v (is this high) and on top of that, CPU-Z is reporting that my Core Voltage is 1.36V (where did my .6 V go?). Often I will set my Vcc to be 1.39 and I go into the BIOS after re-booting and it says its at 1.35 Current. How is that possible?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Back