• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canadian Levies on MP3 Players?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkArctic

Looks like a decision is to be made on Friday on whether or not a levy is to be put into place for MP3 players. This could case them to be up to 20% higher in price. Also other media is being considered, DVD's, flash memory and may increase costs on tapes and CD's.

Full story from CTV: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1071160478828_66569678///?hub=Entertainment

and the Toronto Star: http://thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/Content...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1071097810065

-DarkArctic

9mmCensor

Disabled
Yeah I get burned every time I burn a Powerpoint presentation on a blank CD, because I "COULD" be burning a copyrighted song....

But this is what I pay for the freedoms I enjoy, (RIAA cant come knockin' at my ISPs door, for illegal stuff I "dont" have on my harddrive)

DaveSauce

9mmCensor said:
Yeah I get burned every time I burn a Powerpoint presentation on a blank CD, because I "COULD" be burning a copyrighted song....

But this is what I pay for the freedoms I enjoy, (RIAA cant come knockin' at my ISPs door, for illegal stuff I "dont" have on my harddrive)

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

now where on earth did you acquire THIS misconception???

First of all, there is no "freedom" you are paying for. You are paying for the RIAA's greed and the government's lack of consumer protection (one could, and should, call it corporation protection) when you buy a blank media. If anything you are paying for the proverbial bad apples that spoil the bunch. Do NOT say that you are paying for your freedom. That kind of talk leads to "I wear this Star of David on my clothing, but that's what I pay to keep from dying!" Freedom is not purchased.

Second of all, the RIAA has every right to come knocking at your door, and your ISP's door, if you are caught downloading illigal files. This is THEIR right, because if you don't own what you're downloading, you're stealing it. If you feel that you are "paying" for them to not come to your door when you buy blank media (to transfer the stolen goods to), then why not just BUY what you're downloading and skip the middle man?!? If you REALLY want to download it, go to iTunes or any other similar service.

And just for future reference, I don't think it's wise to brag about the illigal files that you "don't" have on your hard drive.

9mmCensor

Disabled
DaveSauce said:
First of all, there is no "freedom" you are paying for. You are paying for the RIAA's greed and the government's lack of consumer protection (one could, and should, call it corporation protection) when you buy a blank media.

Second of all, the RIAA has every right to come knocking at your door, and your ISP's door, if you are caught downloading illigal files. This is THEIR right, because if you don't own what you're downloading, you're stealing it. If you feel that you are "paying" for them to not come to your door when you buy blank media (to transfer the stolen goods to), then why not just BUY what you're downloading and skip the middle man?!?

And just for future reference, I don't think it's wise to brag about the illigal files that you "don't" have on your hard drive.

No misconception, Canadian laws are slightly different, so the CPCC (Canadian RIAA), cannot legal go to my ISP or my door.

The only illegal file I have on my PC is the Episode of the simpsons with the hamlet take off because in school right now I am studing Hamlet.

Cjwinnit

B&
DarkArctic said:
Looks like a decision is to be made on Friday on whether or not a levy is to be put into place for MP3 players.

I can see Hard Disks next for the strike at this rate, all for the "Capability" of warez. Sad really. Ah well, i'm sure the music industry is satisfied now... :rolleyes:

9mmCensor said:
The only illegal.. (snip)

That was exceptionally silly...

DaveSauce

9mmCensor said:

No misconception, Canadian laws are slightly different, so the CPCC (Canadian RIAA), cannot legal go to my ISP or my door.

The only illegal file I have on my PC is the Episode of the simpsons with the hamlet take off because in school right now I am studing Hamlet.

my bad, I didnt know you were in Canada. And it was my belief that the "royalties" the RIAA gets from blank media was only in the US, which is why I thought you were in the US.

anyway, the point still stands.....it's not a good idea to brag about the illigal files you "don't" have on your HD...."That was exceptionally silly"

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
The original purpose of the levy was to compensate artists for the widespread activity of making personal copies of music that an individual already owns.

I don't know if that is the way it is worded in the bill passed, but if that IS indeed the wording, it's BS. I don't know about Canadian Copyright Law, but American Copyright Law says that you can have as many backups of music as you like for your own uses, as long as you still own a legit copy of the song you copied and as long as it's not redistributed.

On the otherhand, if it's for the revenue that is being lost by filesharing programs, then that's another case all together. It's still crap as that doesn't stop illegal filesharing, it just makes people who aren't filesharing pay for it.