• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot get sound to work, tried Onboard audio and SB 5.1 Live sound card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spidie2000

Registered
Hey all,

This forum has saved me several times and I am hoping someone can do it again. A week ago my buddy brought over his pc with a nasty virus on it. We reformatted it and everything was working but the sound, even after installed the audio drivers. The sound was working before we reformatted. We found it was because we had to install service pack 2.

He took the pc home and sound quit working again 2 days later. I had him uninstall and reinstall the drivers, and still no sound. I had a sound blaster 5.1 card lying around. So I installed that and installed SB drivers. Set to default device and we are getting no sound from it as well. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing neither device to be putting out sound? Do we need to reformat again and possibly have a bad win xp install?

Flurp

Just want to ask... are you using the same speaker to hear the sound? maybe that's the problem?

OP
S

Spidie2000

Registered
He tried speakers and a headset. When we were using the onboard sound could not produce sound from either front or back inputs. Off the SB Live 5.1 card we have back inputs only for use.

Maximouse

Try going into Control Panel and see if there is an Icon for the sound device you are using.

I had the same issue when I put a new sound card in and set it for default.
Had no sound until I changed it's settings using it's program in Control Panel.

OP
S

Spidie2000

Registered
OK well we seem to have fixed the issue. We did a system repair with another windows disc and sound is now working. I think perhaps the disc I used was scrached and corrupt.

Thanks all for help and suggestions