• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot resolve gmail.com only (anybrowser)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

So here is the deal. I am trying to help fix a co-workers computer. I can access every web page besides gmail.com, mail.google.com, or any variation of the google e-mail web site. I can get google.com just fine though.

DSL connection that I have just set up for her seems to be working flawlessly.....

I can ping gmail.com all day long and no problems......response time of like 30ms....

Machine seems to run well no hiccups and its an older machine too, but I have not run any virus software

Things I have tried - besides trying google for 45mins in a hot attic type room after working a 8:30 - 5:30 with a 20min break and a 30min drive home :salute: /rant
  • Reboot Computer/Modem (and Reset)
  • Clearing internet history
  • Flushing the DNS in command line
  • Internet Explorer and Netscape browsers
  • Removing Firefox and installing it again
  • System restore to when it worked......

After I reinstalled Firefox then Firefox started doing this thing where no webpage would resolve. And IE would work fine.

I got tired and left it at that for the night, I'd like to be able to fix it tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Someone will probably find it easy and I tried for a while to figure it out.

Help me please. I appreciate any opinion thank you!

Last edited:

Neuromancer

When you uninstalled Fx and reinstalled to go through and manually delete whatever profile folder it leaves behind?

In IE you can try and go to Internet Options and "restore to defaults"

When you ping google you should get a IP address have you tried entering that IP address in the browser (just to make sure it is not a DNS issue.. yes I saw you flushed DNS cache already ;) )

When you try and open it, does the browser just hang for a while or does it instantly go to "IE can not find this webpage"

Check the HOSTs file and make sure that mail.google.com is not being redirected.

Omsion

Can you try another HTTPS site? For instance, mail.yahoo.com
Any firewall changes/updates?

OP
wa77ss

wa77ss

When you uninstalled Fx and reinstalled to go through and manually delete whatever profile folder it leaves behind?

In IE you can try and go to Internet Options and "restore to defaults"

When you ping google you should get a IP address have you tried entering that IP address in the browser (just to make sure it is not a DNS issue.. yes I saw you flushed DNS cache already ;) )

When you try and open it, does the browser just hang for a while or does it instantly go to "IE can not find this webpage"

Check the HOSTs file and make sure that mail.google.com is not being redirected.

Thankyou!!!! I did not however delete the old Firefox files which I should have, I will try that today. All the HOSTs file showed was
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Can you try another HTTPS site? For instance, mail.yahoo.com
Any firewall changes/updates?

All other websites work fine, including HTTPS. No firewall changes, I'll try turning the windows firewall off however.

Thankyou both