• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant boot from DVD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nemezote

Registered
Hello guys.

Heres my system.

Asus p8z68 v pro.

Intel i5 2500 stock.

Gskill ripjaws 2x5 1800 DDR3.

260 black edition.

1TB Seagate barracuda.

750 w cooler Master real Power Pro

The mobo, ram and processor, are 2 weeks old.

The rest of the hard has a couple of years and never gave me any trouble.

Heres the situation, this morning I was using my PC just fine. Like I have for the past 3 years and the 2 weeks after installing the mobo,ram and Processor.

So, today a box arrived with a new cooler and some cold cathodes for the PC.

I crack her up, install everything and put her together again.

So, she boots ups just fine, into windows and then gives me a a BSOD with the following code: 0x000000F4

I clear CMOS, unplug and replug everything. The hardware was workign flawlessly a few minutes before this, I even stress tested the ram and CPU.

So...im puzzled. I tried booting up from the w7 DVD (scratchless) ive been using for the past 2 years and I only get a blinking cursor and or "reboot and select proper boot deviceblbalbalbalba" message. Sometimes its one, sometimes its the other.

I may also get a CDBOOT Memory overflow error.

Or a plain black screen.

Very rarely I get the "windows is loading files" bar, but it doesnt fill up at all.

I also may get a "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause".

All of this is when booting from the DVD.

If I try to boot from the HDD I only get a blinking cursor.

So here I am, I was gonna re install w7, but I cant even boot from the same DVD drive I used to install w7 a couple of weeks ago...

And all I did was install a new Heatsink and a couple of lights.

So...I just dont know what to do, im about to try and get a new Dvd drive, but this one lights up just fine and was working perfectly 2 weeks ago...

Any help would be terribly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have read all the guides in this site and others and am desperate.

Last edited:
Is the DVD Drive definitely set to first in the boot order (Clearing CMOS would change the order to default)

Haven't accidentally knocked any of the power/comms leads from the drives?

Turn the lights off and double check it's not drawing too much power (I doubt it, but worth a shot)

Back to basics. Load up with the board, CPU, RAM and use the onboard VGA.

That's all that comes to mind right away.

Is the DVD Drive definitely set to first in the boot order (Clearing CMOS would change the order to default)

Haven't accidentally knocked any of the power/comms leads from the drives?

Turn the lights off and double check it's not drawing too much power (I doubt it, but worth a shot)

Back to basics. Load up with the board, CPU, RAM and use the onboard VGA.

That's all that comes to mind right away.

Drive is set as first boot device.

English is not my fist language, so please explain what are power/comms leads for the drives =P

Turn the lights off? Like, the whole house lights? what for?. I R TeH newb.

Also tried with the onboard VGA with no luck.

Thanks for your help.

You mentioned you put in some cathodes (Lights)
Make sure they're not powered to check.

Check the boot order of the drives in BIOS. Shuffling around the drive order until it boots.

I just had the same issue with my server changing out a drive. It went bonkers and I ended up redoing the booting order of the drives. It corrected the error screens like you are experiencing..

It will be the one ordering option showing the hard drives. Not the option for the first boot , second boot and so forth.

Woke up and tried again without the lights, and weirdly it works...

So far, ill get back to you when/if I can repair w7 or re install it.

Still, what would the lights have to do with anything? what would that error be? and will it happen again if I turn them on , or can I consider this solved?

Thanks

EDIT: Apparently the lights were to blame. I have them on a swtich, and I tried the same molex connectors with some leds I had laying around and no problems. Too bad the switcher cant turn the leds on or off...

Why would the CCFLs cause such a problem? Should I RMA them? Could the power supply actually be the problem???

Last edited:
Maybe it's a power draw issue. Did you try turning the ccfls on after boot? Did you have the power connected correctly? Maybe a bad inverter. Maybe a bad switch.
If you have a spare psu try bench testing the ccfl setup alone.

Back