• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c0nfusion

I just built the rig in my sig. It was working fine for two days when I put it together. I moved it to my apartment today. I didn't do anything besides disconnect it, and I carefully placed it in my car. There were no big bumps or anything on the way. I hooked it up again when I arrived at my apartment, and now it won't POST. I hit the power button and the fans all come on, but nothing appears on the screen. The video card has four LED lights on it and the first, third, and fourth flash on about every 3 seconds. Every time they blink, the fan on the video card stops spinning for a second and restarts itself.

I've tried to look online but I can't seem to find any information on video card LED error codes. I tried resetting the CMOS, reseating the GPU and RAM, unplugging and replugging in the PCI-E power cables to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

I assume you also rechecked both the 24-pin ATX main power connector, and the 8-pin ATX 12V power connector for tightness? You might also want to double check the CPU and HSF to make sure neither came dislodged during the move.

Just removed both CPU and HSF and reseated to no avail. Checked the power connectors and both are secure. I really don't understand this as the compute was working perfectly before I disconnected it and I really don't see how anything could have gotten dislodged during the move.

Yes, removed both, and reseated. Getting very frustrated..I guess I need to completely disassemble and rebuild. If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss.

try to only put 1 ram ? maybe ur video card died? / motheboad
If u have an old motherboard try the video card on it if its work it's not ur video card etc... with other components
I call this part the elimination Process :)

Last edited:
I should mention that I only have a laptop available so I cannot remove/replace parts to troubleshoot. I'm trying to fix this with the parts I have already. I don't see how a hardware component could have died in the 7 hours between the last time the computer was on.

I'm willing to bet it's the RAM, but take out the video card as well and see what happens. Start taking out additional things like one of the ram sticks, the video card, sound cards (if any) and other things of that nature. Leave 1 stick of Ram, CPU and Power.

Tried using only one stick of ram. Swapped out both sticks one at a time. Tried them in different ram slots on the mobo. All the same result. Powercyling and no POST. I'm getting ready to disassemble the whole thing and rebuild, though I have my doubts as to how much it will help.

I just disassembled and rebuilt the whole computer. It's doing the same thing. Power cycling and LEDs on the video card flash on/vid card fan stops every 5ish seconds. No POST and no thing on the screen.

Anyone in the Astoria, NY area that wants to be paid to diagnose this thing? Haha, I'm about to toss it off the balcony.

did you try resetting cmos/clearing bios... card shouldnt have died in transit..did you try looking up your gfx card and the led flashes and what they mean? there might be someone thats seen this problem before

did you try resetting cmos/clearing bios... card shouldnt have died in transit..did you try looking up your gfx card and the led flashes and what they mean? there might be someone thats seen this problem before

Yeah, reset the CMOS a few different ways (removing battery for ~2 mins, CMOS clear jumper, Clear CMOS button on my mobo). I tried looking up the LED flashes but it doesn't seem like they have any real meaning in this instance. From what I've gathered, they just flash on whenever the system boots, so they just keep flashing because my computer is powercycling.

The only thing I can think of right now is that perhaps there's too much thermal paste on the CPU and it leaked onto the pins or mobo and is causing a short. I'm going to try and clean everything up when I get home today and reapply the paste. If that doesn't work, I'm leaning towards a mobo issue. Again, if anyone is in the Astoria area with compatible parts to do a diagnosis, or if they can recommend an honest shop around here, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
I just did the bareboard test. Hooked up the motherboard outside the case (on an anti-static bag) with just one stick of RAM, the CPU, and the HSF. No POST beeps. I swapped out the stick of RAM with the other and tried multiple RAM slots to no avail. So, to me this looks like either a dead motherboard or a dead CPU.

An interesting side note is that once I turn the mobo on using the power switch on the mobo, I can't turn it off with that switch. The only way to turn it off is by hitting the switch on the PSU. I'm not sure if that's relevant or not, but it's another observation.

So what do you guys think? Dead CPU or mobo?

Ackkkk!!!!!! Anti static bags are conductive, the silvery metal ones. They conduct to pull the static off the bag. Use just plain old cardboard or something.... ACCCCKKKK.

Ackkkk!!!!!! Anti static bags are conductive, the silvery metal ones. They conduct to pull the static off the bag. Use just plain old cardboard or something.... ACCCCKKKK.

Eh, it wasn't one of the silver colored metallic ones, it was one of the green ones. Anyway, the motherboard did the same thing it did when it was in the case. I tried it in cardboard box just now as well and same results. Based on this, would you guys conclude it was either the CPU or the mobo?

I'm guessing the MB as well. I had a Ga p45 UD3R go on me and so far the RMA with Gigabyte has been slow. They received my board on January 14th and are sending it back on the 23rd. It better work.:rolleyes:

I'm guessing the MB as well. I had a Ga p45 UD3R go on me and so far the RMA with Gigabyte has been slow. They received my board on January 14th and are sending it back on the 23rd. It better work.:rolleyes:

Yeah, not looking forward to the process. Especially since I got the board on the classifieds. I will probably just buy a new one as I don't want to be without my rig for 3-4 weeks.

Back