• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant decide: x800 pro vs 6800GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baptizer

Hello Guys:
I just cant decide! I am on the verge of splurging and purchasing one of these cards with my credit card. However, I just cannot decide! I keep hearing good things about both, but, alas I dont know which way to go. Putting biases aside, can someone convince me which I should choose?

I had a 9800pro, but I gave it to my brother as a gift because he was using a radeon 8500. Him and his wife had their first child, so it was a gift! :) I wish I would have kept it, but too late now :(

Nandro

Disabled
The responses you get would probably make you more confused than you already are. You might want to look at some of the more recent discussions and base your decision on information you get from there along with the many reviews that are available. I have a GT and am very pleased with it. Everyone I know that has a X800 is very pleased as well. I dont think there is a bad choice to be made. If you can spend the money and can find the x800 pro VIVO that can be mod'ed to the XT-pe thats a great deal as well. find a price point and look for something in stock.

DMac

It's a hard decision. Both benchmark pretty much the same. The X800 doesn't require an extra slot because of a huge heatsink, like the 6800, and is quieter. I like ATI so I would probably get the X800. The only advantage the 6800 has over the X800 that I can think of, is that it support Shader Model 3.0.

CircuitBreaker8

Disabled
I would get the 6800GT. It beats the x800 pro ( stock vs. stock ) in a lot of the benches, supports PS3, has 16 pipes, and can easily be modded to a 6800ultra ( so i've heard ) Plus, if your looking forward to doom 3, nvidia cards will always have the edge on openGL.

Sentential

Contributing Member
CircuitBreaker8 said:
I would get the 6800GT. It beats the x800 pro ( stock vs. stock ) in a lot of the benches, supports PS3, has 16 pipes, and can easily be modded to a 6800ultra ( so i've heard ) Plus, if your looking forward to doom 3, nvidia cards will always have the edge on openGL.

Yea 99.9% of all of them do Ultra speeds which is just slightly slower than an XT. In my opinion, buying a GT is a far better way to go.

Yuriman

Given the choice and the same price, I would probably go with the X800. Of course, I have a SFF pc, so I couldnt fit the GT in anyway....

But if I had a full sized pc, I would still get the pro, because it can mod to an xt. Low power usage is very nice to me, plus th x800 has temporal anti aliasing and IMO a nicer driver setup. If it werent for NV's drivers recently, I would probably change my mind. Either way you go, you wont be disapointed. You can ask a random person on the street which sounds better.

OP
B

Baptizer

Thanks, guys. I figured asking this question could, potentially, cause a biased discussion and such. Everyone has their favorites and will tailor their comments towards that.

I found the ATI x800pro (ATI Model) for 359.00 (including shipping) and the 6800GT (PNY) for 345.00 (including shipping) so the prices are comparable (GT is out of stock currrently, and I am assuming the x800pro is in stock, based on the websites information).

Thanks again for the information, guys! I really appreciate the open-mindedness in your replies! As most of you mentioned, it appears as though I cant go wrong. I just like to ask before I make such a costly purchase....so I have my bases covered!!! :)

Panzerknacker

Disabled
Yes indeed. Just get one of them, they are almost equal and u really can't go wrong. Maybe it's fun to choose one for some bullsh*t reasons like hey that one has a nicer color or wait the name 'ATI' sucks nVIDIA sounds better :p

But Yuriman, how do u mean the nVIDIA drivers suck, can u explain that a little more?

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
Depends on what you want to do gaming wise. Each card has better performance than the other in certain games. And it depends on how much trouble shooting you want to do. So far i've heard that the 6800GTs are having some problems in Far Cry but with the patch just released, I don't know how well that's going to wrap up.

Nico3k

I am not sure which one to get either. In this case I would just ask myself... which one O/C's better or is best moddable.

a c i d.f l y

As far as potential... I've heard the most praise for the 6800GT. You can generally pick them up (The BFG model) in most local stores. They only take up one slot (granted they're longer than sh*t), and can run you anywhere from $350-399. I'm waiting the third revision of drivers to see where both cards run... and I plan on doing a large upgrade in about 6months with rev.2 of pci-e boards are out... perpetual waiting... price/performance would always put one to be keen of the 6800GT, hands down.

-Frank