• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't figure thise one out...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nechen

So here my HDD Setup:

(1) Western Digital 10,000RPM 74GB Raptor (Partitioned for O/S and Programs)

(1) Western Digital AAKS 250GB (For storage/movies/music/ETC...)

(1) Western Digital AAKS 250GB (Purely for games/game images)

Yesterday my girlfriend turned off my computer (Probably while I had it up and running in the middle of something) and when I went to go to turn it back on it just stayed at the XP Loading Screen with the moving blue bar. I shut the machine down after waiting 10 minutes and turned it back on.

Now my Computer is randomly freezing, unable to load games, and as I'm writing this post my HDD LED Light is lit Solid indicating that at least one of the drives are getting slammed.

I tried to start Killing Floor or Left4Dead and it locked up, I shortly gained control over my system and the game crashed - after that I had a notification in the system tab reading "Microsoft - Delayed Write Failed"

What the hell is going on? I'm thinking my O/S may just be borked but this sounds like my Raptor could potentially be dieing, I can't even get close enough to install any Disk Defrag software because the MSIexec keeps crashing on me.

Thoughts?

OP
Nechen

Nechen

Well this is probably an issue with the HDD at this point - I did a fresh reinstall of XP on my drive and its still behaving oddly.

I haven't had it lock up yet but its taking upwards of 5 minutes to shut down, then it goes to the "LOGGING OFF" screen which takes another couple of minutes, then when it boots back up it sits at the Windows XP Loading Screen with the blue Scrolling Bar the lights on my Saitek and Razer USB Mouse/Keyboard keep flashing on and off indicating the O/S is trying to boot up.

*sigh* might just have to get a 40GB SSD for my O/S - been wanting to try one anyway.

-edit-
It also freezes on occasion while the machine is trying to POST - just hangs after it recognizes the RAM ... never shows me my SATA/ATAPI Drives

OP
Nechen

Nechen

*sigh* anyone else have any other insights as to the symptoms of hard drive failure? Other than offering for me to reinstall my drivers, run memtest, or reset my CMOS?

OP
Nechen

Nechen

MSI P45 PLATINUM

ANTEC TRUPOWER 750W

2GB KINGSTON DDR-800 4-4-4-12

Intel Core2Duo E8400
Evga GTX285

Everything running at stock till I can figure this out...I gotta put my specs in my sig lol

OP
Nechen

Nechen

I ran ChkDsk but it didn't report any bad sectors.

Ill have to find a BootCD for this

OP
Nechen

Nechen

I...
...Reformatted...
MY...
Hard-Drive's...
OPERATING SYSTEM

Sheesh how many people post redudant answers for the sake of increasing their post count?

tinymouse2

We're trying to help you don't need to be mean to us :(
If that's all I know I'll suggest it but it doesn't mean that I'm trying to get my post count up. I would hope that people don't judge you by the number of stars you have...

creecher

They suggested the other stuff because the hard drive may not be the problem. if you want to know symptoms of a hard drive not working, i would say not being able to see the drive, reformat it, or even detect it. were trying to rule out all the possibilites before you go buy a new hard drive and have the exact same problems.
try running mem test on a bootable cd!
your so determined on it being your hard drive. if your so sure thats what it is, then buy a new hard drive already and dont assume that we have no idea what we're talking about only because you dont want to listien to us.

OP
Nechen

Nechen

I ran MemTest for 6 hours with 18 passes and 0 errors...any other ideas?

You guys have been helpful - I just find it disturbing how many people post the same generic answer over and over again *cough*

OP
Nechen

Nechen

Well the WD Utility didn't pick up any bad sectors on ANY of my WD Hard Drives in my machine - now I'm just completely and sexually confused.

OP
Nechen

Nechen

Well I haven't had any problems out of it as of late so I'm wondering if the Memory controller on my MSI P45 Platinum is just FUBAR'd - I've got other threads reporting the numerous issues I've had with this board's stability.

I bought some new Kingston DDR2-800 RAM that MSI Specifically listed in their test reports as being 100% stable and haven't had any issues thus far.

If the MoBo is hosed and the RAM isn't working with it properly, wouldn't MemTest have showed at least 1 error in the 6 hours and 18 passes I left it running for?