• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant get 6870s in Xfire to OC at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brentonius

Registered
So ive started trying to OC my video cards in crossfire (MSI 6870x2). I don't want a huge OC on them, i just want to see if it will get me more FPS while playing battlefield 3. GPU usage on both cards sits at like 85-98% the whole time im playing (on ultra). i get about 60 fps when theres not a lot going on in big maps, but once things start blowing up around me i get some drops. would mem clock or core clock help more with getting fps?

so no matter what i change when im overclocking in msi afterburner my computer freezes up as soon as i try to play games, or run furmark or 3dmark11.

i tried upping memory clock from 1050 to 1070 and it froze. so i tried to up the voltage a little and it didnt help.
so then i reset the settings and tried to up core clock from 900 to 920 and same thing, extra voltage didnt help either.
so im really lost on what i can do, if anything to get these overclocked a little.

i dont think temperature is an issue GPU 1 is at 54C idle and like 70 when in bf3. GPU 2 is at 36C idle and gets to about 60C in bf3 i think. i have a 200mm (166cfm) fan blowing right onto the side of the gpu's to help keep them cool.

i read earlier that increasing NB voltage or PCI-E frequency in the BIOS can help but ive never heard that before so i dont wanna try that yet.

the cards are at 1193mV, 900mhz core, 1050mhz mem clocks stock.

the rig im using is down here

Last edited:
Try to disable "enableULPS" in the registry.
What I do is go into the registry and "find" enableulps.
There will be multiple folders with "enableUlps" under the one.
Find the enableulps strings and change the "1" to "0".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL

Last edited:
so i disabled the one that says enableulps in each of my folders that had it... but the line below the one i disabled says "enableulps_NA" should i disable that too?

that seems to have fixed it, thanks!

went up from 900/1050 (core/mem clock) to 950/1100 without any problems :)

i hope its a noticeable difference ingame.

Back