• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get Celeron II 633@791 to 950 Please HELP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaiyosan

SOMEONE HELP!!!!! I have a cB0 stepping Celeron II 633 running at 791@83mhz bus clock with the default voltage. It runs flawlessly at 83mhz bus, but falters at 100mhz. I have a decently large HSF. Its no Alpha, but its barely warm at 791. I have tried everything in my playbook. I have a tried combination of voltages from stock 1.55v all the way up to 2.05v (im desparate!) , CAS settings 2 and 3, disabling USB support, changing the DRAM refresh rates, removing my Adaptec SCSI card, booting into windows at 83mhz using all of the previously mention voltages, then using SoftFSB to up it to 100 (it locks up immediately). Even with all that, the farthest it ever got was 30 seconds into the Win98 splash screen.The only thing that seems to work is disabling the L2 cache?! With the cache disabled, it'll boot into Windows98 at 950mhz at 2.0 to 2.05v, but only with the CAS set to 3. It wasn't at all stable (locked up after 5 minutes), but it was stable enough to take measurements using WCPUID. Is this odd that it works only without the L2? 950mhz is fun to look at, but completely worthless without the L2. The setup I am running is as follows:
Tyan Tsunami s1846 MoBo with latest BIOS (4/13/00) and fat chipset Heatsink
Celeron 633 cBo stepped/revision 3
Abit Slotket III (using volt. override jumpers on Slotket)
160mb Apacer PC-100 (1-128mb and 1-32mb,
CAS-? [although runs fine at CAS2@83fsb])
ATI Rage Pro AGP
Adaptec AHA-2940au SCSI adapter
ISA LT winmodem
ISA SB awe32
2 Quantum 4900rpm IDE Hdds
Kingston KNE110TX Ethernet
Generic 40x CDROM
Iomega Jaz 1GB SCSI(disconnected)
Sorry I can't supply temps, no o/b hardware monitor.
I made all these attempts with the chassis's side removed at an ambient temp of around 68 farenheit.
I have a few theories:
1. The part of the die that the L2 cache resides on is not properly being cooled because my HSF doesn't quite sit completely flat on the core since it I took it off an AMD K6-2 450, although It sits very close to flat and is using GOBS of thermal compound.
2. The HSF is simply not good enough (although the temp @2.05v@950mhz is not to hot to touch.)
3. Overheating due to a comination of overvoltage and one of the above reasons.
4. Perhaps the stock 3.3v chipset voltage is not enough, although I don't think its very likely.
5. The L2 cache is simply not up to the task and I'm asking to much and I should just quit while Im ahead.
6. My Duron 650@800 is jealous and is conspiring with Satan and Intel to keep my poor Celemine from reaching the 950mhz it was meant to run at.

Personally, I think #6 is the most likely culprit because I have come too close and gone so far only to have the damn thing tucker out at 83mhz FSB. If I had known it was going to give me this much guff, I would have settled for Cele 566@850 PLEASE, ALL YOU OVERCLOCKIN' SAGES OUT THERE MUST HELP ME!!!!!! I promised my bro' that someday his meager Cele633 would outperform my mighty Athlon Jr. 800 (although not by much, hehe!), and I intend to make good on my promise (I hope.)
For all those who read and considered the above hot air, thanx
Dr. Kaiyosan!
(P.S. You gotta help me!!!)

First let me say, you should have gotten the 566. They are sweet OC'ers. Okay, that's out of the way. I'm not personally familiar with the Abit slotket, but have heard mixed ( but predominantly, not so good) reveiws. Is there a jumper on it for Cumine? When I first got my 566, I couldn't get over 83 FSB, and this is what stupidly held me back for days. I would suggest the MSI-6905 Master ver 2 or newer. I would of course also suggest PC133 or 150 ram. Also, you don't need GOBS of thermal compound. You only need enough to form a solid bond between CPU and HSF. Is this HS properly lapped? If not, lap it flat and to a mirror like finish. Mount a good fan, at least one that pushes 28 cfm. Good case cooling, minimum- 1 80mm intake, 1 80mm exhaust. In bios, disable all shadowing(video,bios, etc.) I hope at least one of these suggestions prove to be helpful. :)

My C600 was even crashing @600 so I tried with my friend's PIII 700's heatsink and it is stable at 900. Did boot at 112 Mhz @1Ghz:) And now the heatsink gets warm close to hot. You should better try with a better hs.

First let me say Welcome Kaiyosan, and Nucro.
ok here goes. have you tried all the obvious things like reucing your pci to 1/4 or 2/3? and have you pulled out all the cards to where you have the bare minimum to run the comp? remove all the extras, nic, sound, raid, scsi, and if it boots, then you have a bus transfer prob, and one of your cards aren't up to the chalenge.
83mhz is really hard on peripherals, and if you have the 95mhz option, you might get to there easier than 83mhz...on some boards, 95mhz puts everything back in spec.
You could also try the burnin method..seems to work for some.
Hope this helps

Yes my SlotKET does have a jumper to choose between a CuMine and a PPGA-370 cele, and it is set to CuMine. Why do you ask. Also, you said youre 566 would'nt top 83mhz FSB. What did you so to overcome it? And Last but not least, what is lapping? By the way, your bios shadowing trick worked!, well at least partially. Where as it would only show the Win98 screen at 2.0+v, this time it did it at 1.90! It still froze 20 seconds into the load up process, but at least you got me that much closer to my goal! Thanx again, oh yeah, any other majic tricks you might know would be greatly appreiciated!

Kaiyosan

Lapping is a term used for sanding the base of the heatsink to acheive as perfectly flat a surface as possible to facilitate good heat transferance between the core of the CPU and heatsink. The more heat you can disipate the better. For a day or two I was stuck at 83 FSB. At first my stotket wasn't set to Cumine because the jumper was labelled 256 cache. I didn't realize this also applied to the 128 cache Celly. At this point I would cool things as well as possible, set the voltage to 1.95, set FSB to default, and run some cpu intensive progs(such as Prime 95) for a few days. This is the proccess referred to as burn-in.

Back