• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get my 2500 stable at 2.4ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homicsbane

Ive been having trouble with my 2500 barton at 2.4ghz. 2.3ghz (11.5x200) i set vcore to 1.725 and there are no problems at all. I set vcore to 1.85 when at 2.4 (12x200) and its not quite stable. Its not as if I can barely run anything. Everything will run except for UT2003 for longer than 5 minutes and I cant run the cpu tests in 3dmark03. It is so close and I have no idea what else to do. These are my specs:

2500+ barton (40C load at 2.3Ghz with Dragon Orb 3)
A7N8X non-deluxe
512mb corsair [email protected][email protected]

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
I'd say that if you upgraded your cooling to a Thermalright heatsink, you'd be able to pull off 2.4ghz easily, perhaps even 2.5ghz. Otherwise, increase you core voltage by a notch or two.

Axis

Try running your ram asynch back to it's rated pc2700 speed.

I have been playinng with mine @ 2.4 and rught now I vae 1.85v on the core and the ram @ 400 2-3-3-7 2.8vdimm....

so far so good. Prime 95 torture test running for 20 mins right now as I type this.

OP
H

homicsbane

Well, I would increase the voltage a bit, but I forgot to mention that the vcore in the BIOS will only go up to 1.85.

Axis

homicsbane said:
Well, I would increase the voltage a bit, but I forgot to mention that the vcore in the BIOS will only go up to 1.85.

Same here unless I do a voltage mod. Torture test almost done but my temp is 36c!

JDXNC

You could pin mod your cpu to a higher default vcore, then the bios will allow you to go higher than 1.85 without a volt mod. What sort of power supply are you using? Have your checked how your 5v line is doing?

MameXP

PiMpShiN said:
it would be more stable if you kept the multi at 11x and then increased the fsb and added voltage when needed.

May i know why? THis kind of statement makes no sense to me.

homicsbane, Its really strang DragonOrb can keep your CPU "that cool". You read that temp from the bios? If its from Monitor Programs then dont trust it. Even bios is wrong some time. Check it for yourself by just touching the base of the HSF.

I would say its the temp. Your CPU may be too hot (yup i dont trsut that DragonOrb). Also your Ram is the limit. May be relaxing the timings or bump Vdim a little. Instability can be cause by "many" factors. So just be patient to find which one is limiting you. Dont forget PSU either. Check all the rails...

Note: please describe how instable your system is (lookup? quit program? restart? ..)

MameXP

Rutkus

whats the stepping codes on the 2500+ is it locked? from what i see, the cooling on it isn't that good, what are your temps? also, try to losen your ram timings. your ram is kinda old too, pc2100 pushed up to 3200 speeds is kinda high of a push.

dippy_skoodlez

Rutkus said:
whats the stepping codes on the 2500+ is it locked? from what i see, the cooling on it isn't that good, what are your temps? also, try to losen your ram timings. your ram is kinda old too, pc2100 pushed up to 3200 speeds is kinda high of a push.

thats what I was thinking. Pc2100 pushed to 3200 speeds could probably be the problem.

Tawcan

Registered
On the same topic...I'm having problem hitting mine to 2.4GHz as well. It can boot into windows but would just locks up. :(

Spec:
NF7-S
2500+ (unlocked)
Corsair PC3200 XMS v1.1 2x256 dual channel
AX7 + H1A
Antec 430W PS

Right now I have it running at 1.825, 2.8, 1.7, 1.5 and ram timing at 11-2-2-2.5. 5/5 divider. BIOS is 20.

Temp varies around 40C full load (totally dependent on ambient temp).

I've tried running it at 12*200 at 1.875, 2.8V, 11-3-3-2.5 but it still locked up on me. :(

Tried 11*215 at 1.8, 2.8, 11-3-3-2 and I think it locked up on me as well. :(

I think my bottleneck is the ram. The guy I bought the CPU from got it up to 10.5*240 at 1.9V using the same board, so the CPU and mobo have the potential.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Axis

JDXNC said:
You could pin mod your cpu to a higher default vcore, then the bios will allow you to go higher than 1.85 without a volt mod.

REALLY!!! Can you point me to some info on how to do this?

OP
H

homicsbane

Suprisingly, my Dragon Orb does a fantastic job as the bottom of the heatsink is barely warm and closer to the top its actually cool to the touch. I had my old 1800 palomino in there a while ago it it got up to around 50 overclocked which was the same reading that my old gigabyte board had. Anyway, my cpu is AQXEA 0329 and it is unlocked. I tried the 11x multi and my ram didnt like it one bit, not even when I put it to 3-4-4-8, this was at 210. I know i need some pc3200 but im gonna save my money for a bit and probably buy myself 1gb of some hyperX stuff. I recently bought a new Enermax 350W dual fan psu. I checked both my 12V and my 5V rails. The 5V is where it should be and the 12V is at around 12.2 rarely getting up to 12.3 (thats with vcore at 1.85 and Vram at 2.7). Thanks for all your help so far.

EDIT: O ya, it just quits out of programs. In UT2003 It gives me some error message and asks if I wanna send a bug report or somethin.

Last edited:

MameXP

Quit program? sounds like mem error. You should use memtest86 first to see if its the ram.

Also make sure your PSU is good enough. Use a multimeter to check all the rails. First at your *stable* speed then at the speed that you cant get stability. Or at stock speed first then oced speed.

Ah your mobo is not very good either so if the CPU is unlocked, try not to push your mobo too far.

That Dragon Orb is really strange, is it copper base? Oh wait did you have the same mobo when you use it with the pally? I used to think of buying one back then when i had a pally but so many ppl advised me not to. So i got an Alpha

Good luck to you and keep us update
MameXP

Last edited:

PiMpShiN

the reason why i say that the 11x is better is because most of the 2500+ barton owners including myself got better and higher overclocks. If you have your multi all the way up there and low fsb thats not good performance.
It takes less voltage to raise the fsb than the multi.

MameXP

PiMpShiN said:
If you have your multi all the way up there and low fsb thats not good performance.
I agree on this, well obviously thats true

PiMpShiN said:
It takes less voltage to raise the fsb than the multi.

You have any proof on this? Yes i want to see data or explaination in details . Yes i know its good to use stats in overclocking but make such claim for all CPUs is not very logical. Beside we've talked about it here about this exact issue and there is no explaination to it. Its all random and so far i havent seen any one can prove either its correct or not.

:)
MameXP