• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can't Get OC to Apply - 8700k w/ Asus z370 - E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,
i've overclocked pc's for years, however took some time off the last 5 years in which I left my computers to run at stock speeds. I recently got a new build together and no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to apply the overclock.

My build includes:
intel i7 8700k
Asus z370- E motherboard
GSkill 2133mhz 32gb ram
Radeon RX580
2x 970 pro m.2 drives

Im running a hackintosh system, if that matters.
I've followed the following video's settings as a baseline

Problem:
No matter what I set the settings, I can't get the oc to stick. The 8700k runs at 3.7ghz, but if I even try 4ghz it still boots up as 3.7ghz. When I was running windows I used the Asus overclocking software and I was able to run at 5ghz no problem. Now that Im running Mac OS, I can't use the asus overclocking suite, so I want to replicate the settings in the bios. The only setting that seems to actually apply is the cpu voltage. I thought perhaps that my bios needed updating so I updated to the newest 1002 version but it made no difference. Before you ask, yes I saved and restarted the settings. Any ideas?

Hello, fellow Hackintosher!

Do the other settings (besides vcore) remain changed in the bios when you modify them or are you saying you can't see the changes reflected once you get into the Apple OS desktop?

Are you running High Sierra or the Mojave beta? Dual boot windows or just Mac OS?

The settings remain as I left them in the bios, but on the right hand side where it shows current cpu speed and voltages, it shows at 3.7ghz with my increased vcore. I will take some photos and share them. The overclock doesn't apply in the boot up screen and when I enter High Sierra and check "About This Mac" and Geekbench 4. I am running dual boot with windows 10 (different m.2 drives), but I have yet to successfully launch windows.

Those arent reliable...i think gb reads stock regardless(?), and i dont mac so.... wondering if its lime windows 'about' which also shows stock speeds. I'd get into windows and use cpuz or hwmonitor to confirm....it may be working...:)

Please host the images here at the site and not 3rd party links when you post. :)

FYI, you are able to capture images of the bios by pressing f12 and saving it to usb. Youll need to make it a jpg to host here, but that isnt anymore difficult than a from a phone and a 90s screencap. :p :)

Id reset cmos and start over. Change ai overclock to xmp, dont use multi core enhancement when it asks, save and reboot. Adjust vcore only and cpu multiplier (for now).

FYI, you are able to capture images of the bios by pressing f12 and saving it to usb. Youll need to make it a jpg to host here, but that isnt anymore difficult than a from a phone and a 90s screencap. :p :)

Id reset cmos and start over. Change ai overclock to xmp, dont use multi core enhancement when it asks, save and reboot. Adjust vcore only and cpu multiplier (for now).

Good to know about the screen captures. I've done what you have suggested and no change. OC still does not show up in either boot up screen or in mac os

Windows...why isn't that working? I'd check there to confirm...

That said, I have an ASUS Apex and things are manually set in the BIOS, the right side still shows 37x (8700K) But when I get to Windows and look with monitoring software, it shows what I set.

Again, not sure Mas is reporting things correctly where you are looking. See if CPUz works with MAC or HWMonitor if you won't/can't get in Windows.

One thing you need to realize about the Hackintosh is that it will not report all frequencies correctly. Some of what it is actually reporting is information supplied by a pre-scripted info file that corresponds to an actual Apple computer most closely resembling the hardware in your build. It does this to simulate power parameter envelopes that are normally built into a true Mac's hardwired firmware. The Hackintosh community has developed tools that emulate true Mac firmware and trick the OS into believing it is running Apple firmware.

Did you use the tonymacx86.com method to build the Hack?

A couple of tips:

1. Start with a Windows build only and workout a stable overclock in Windows before building the Hackintosh side. There aren't good tools on the Mac side to do overclocking with - tools to check voltages, temps and frequencies and to stress test with.
2. Don't have both m.2 drives installed at the same time when installing each OS. Have one m.2 installed and do the Windows machine. Pull that m.2 drive out and put the other one in to build the Hackintosh. After both systems are complete then install both m.2 drives onto the motherboard and choose which one to boot from using the bios boot order hot key.

So I would advise starting over from scratch by wiping the drives with the diskpart "clean" command.. When you have more than one drive installed during an OS installation then the installation process itself will often use both. Many of us have found this out the hard way when we have two drives installed simultaneously and want one to be the system drive and the other storage drive. Somehow, they both may get used by the system installation.

I have a box with three system drives. One for Sierra, one for High Sierra and one for Linux. But I only had one drive at a time connected when doing each build.

Thanks everyone. I've confirmed it is in fact overclocking. I was able to run into windows and confirmed the 4.8ghz clock speed. Additionally I also opened up within Mac OS, Intel Power Gadget, and then ran some stress tests and it showed the 4.8ghz clock speed. All is good.
Its silly that neither the boot up or mac os shows proper cpu speeds.

Windows doesn't show proper Mhz on CPU either. It shows mine as 3.4Ghz in taskmanager ,, or any other windows section. However third party apps cpu-z and so on show it correctly. I think his OC is going through, gotta check in windows or with mac diagnostic app. Is there CPU-Z for MAC or get a MAC diag app or something. good luck

Windows doesn't show proper Mhz on CPU either. It shows mine as 3.4Ghz in taskmanager ,, or any other windows section. However third party apps cpu-z and so on show it correctly. I think his OC is going through, gotta check in windows or with mac diagnostic app. Is there CPU-Z for MAC or get a MAC diag app or something. good luck
Must be an echo in here. Please read the thread before responding...it has already been solved nearly 12 hours before you posted the same thing the thread already said. ;)

Thanks everyone. I've confirmed it is in fact overclocking. I was able to run into windows and confirmed the 4.8ghz clock speed. Additionally I also opened up within Mac OS, Intel Power Gadget, and then ran some stress tests and it showed the 4.8ghz clock speed. All is good.
Its silly that neither the boot up or mac os shows proper cpu speeds.
It's just where you looked is static and not dynamic. ;)

Task Manager on W10 actually shows it (Organik):

task mgr.jpg

Last edited:
Ive got a old motherboard / CPU combination so that's why it shows incorrect for me in Windows or bootup. Sorry my bad, I assumed everyone's was like this. Ok I didn't know that, I thought Windows was just like that with every comp til now. Good to know on my future rig one day the speed inside windows will show properly. Thanks I always wondered about this same issue for years, sorta bothered me. :clap:

That shouldn't make a difference, the mobo/CPU combo...I can google older combos and it shows the right clocks when overclocked.

Last edited:
Back