• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can’t Get Past Bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmzlr

Purchased a new Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A-DS3P (rev.2). I know this is a not so new board but I needed the type configuration to replace my other MSI board which took a crap. I needed this board so I could use the same memory (DDR3) and CPU AMD Athion II X4.

My problem is this new Gigabyte Motherboard allowed me to setup Windows 10 Pro then when I rebooted to use the Bios Settings to disable the Audio I click the button and the screen flashed and came back up frozen with no mouse support. When rebooted I push the delete key and the Bios comes up freezes. If power cable is removed for a few hours then plugged back in it will boot to Windows then freeze. Reboot and the Bios create a message with 3 lines:
Load default settings and boot.
Load default settings and reboot.
Bios Settings
You are supposed to double click your choice. It’s a never ending loop.
Is it the Bios or could it be the memory.
Please help if you can.
Thanks
jmzlr

If it's possible clear the CMOS, remove the battery and pull the power for a while. Boot into Windows and give us a screen shot of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. That will give us a peek under the hood so to speak. If not possible let us know.

There should be a pin block of two or three pins that you can use to reset the CMOS (bios) to default without having to remove the battery. Some motherboards even have a dedicated button for doing this. Usually, the pins are near the round flat battery that supplies power to the CMOS (bios) when the computer is unplugged for long periods. If it has reset pins, unplug the power cord from the back of the PSU first and then push the case power button to drain any juice from the system capacitors. Then move the pin jumper from default position to reset position. Leave it there for 30 seconds maybe. Move the jumper back to default position before restoring power to the system.

I also think most gigabyte boards have a dual bios setup (two chips) that allows you to switch to the original bios in case updates, power outages, or other issues mess up the working bios.

Finally, I wonder if the CMOS battery on the motherboard needs replacing as it is a used board with a lot of hours on it since manufacture.

No matter what is done, the same thing happens. When turned on it goes into a loop. It shows the Logo screen with Del, F9, F12 even hitting Del key nothing happens, from ther it goes to a Blue screen showing Gigabyte - UEFI Dual BIOS then it repeats the Loop over and over. Nothing I’ve read tells how to get into the backup BIOS, if there still there.

Jim

Most likely scenario is a trents touched on both BIOS are borked. It seems to be trying to revert to the second BIOS chip (recovery chip). Don't take offense here but s the clear CMOS jumper closed? I mean does it have a jumper cap on it or they are bent and touching? t's often the simple things that trip us up. Could also be a RAM compatibility issue. If you have some different sticks try one. Gigabyte AM2/AM2+/AM3 boards can be very touchy and if the slightest thing is off the can do a boot loop trying to flash to the secondary.

Thanks Every One

Most likely scenario is a trents touched on both BIOS are borked. It seems to be trying to revert to the second BIOS chip (recovery chip). Don't take offense here but s the clear CMOS jumper closed? I mean does it have a jumper cap on it or they are bent and touching? t's often the simple things that trip us up. Could also be a RAM compatibility issue. If you have some different sticks try one. Gigabyte AM2/AM2+/AM3 boards can be very touchy and if the slightest thing is off the can do a boot loop trying to flash to the secondary.

OptyTrooper;
I have tried everything that’s imaginable:
1. Hold power bottom in while turning the PSU switch to on.
2. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again.
3. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
4. OptyTrooper;
4. OptyTrooper;
4. Change Video Card.
5. Checked memory and banks.
6. Changed Brand of memory.
7. When turned on i get 1 Beep and a Loop.
There are other things I’ve done just don’t recall right now.
There are only two more thing left to do, even though it ‘s two weeks old and the second identical board in five weeks. The other Gigabyte board have a different BIOS problem. When I went into the BIOS it would freeze, the only thing to do was Reboot an the same thing would happen over and over. RMA’d back to Newegg, they agreed with me the BIOS was shot. Refunded money and I went to Miami and found this second Gigabyte board.
Since I’m not RMA’ing this bpard back, there is the second and last thing to do.
SHORT PINS 1&6 on the main BIOS chip.

Thanks for everyone’s help.
Forgot to say, while messing with my last GIGA******* board I bought an
Asus M5A97 AM3 System Board to get back up and running...

Jmzlr

Last edited:
Back