• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Install a second Serial Port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dorimon81

I tried installing a second serial port to the header on the motherboard. Windows recognizes the new hardware but my devices that I try to run on the port do not work. As a matter of fact, none of my devices work on that port.

I went out and spent 50 bucks on a USB to serial port converter and I want to bring it back because

#1. It was expensive
#2. It causes my computer to crash when I restart it

Do you guys have any suggestions?

OP
dorimon81

dorimon81

It didn't come with any drivers. The night after I bought the port, I went back to the store and I asked them for drivers and they said that it didn't need them.

If I did have to instal drivers, where could I download them?

eab

Welcome to the fourms!

Do a www.google.com search for the drivers. Also if you can't get the extra seail ports working look around for a different usb to seail converters. There are cheaper ones out there and the one I have for my palm dosn't crash my computer.

Go check in the device manger and see if there are any errors under the new searil port. Check what they are maybe that can give you some help.

Steve978

If your installing the serial on a motherboard header you might not have installed the proper motherboard drivers check to see if there are any on your manufacturers website.

OP
dorimon81

dorimon81

There are no updates from the manufacturer.

What can I do?
Maybe I can download a generic serial port driver from somewhere.

Can anyone give me a direct link for this kind of driver download?
That would be greatly appreciated.

Steve978

Could it be a problem with the peripheral your plugging into it? What are you plugging into it? and have you tried it on another computer.

OP
dorimon81

dorimon81

I've tried 3 different devices. The port just doesn't want to work. I have tried it on another computer and it does work. I have no clue how to fix this problem.

HELPPPPPPPP

OP
dorimon81

dorimon81

No other device is conflicting with it. I go into the device manager and it doesn't say anything about a problem.

The motherboard is an emachines one. I'm not sure about the make and model but the chipset is VIA KM266 I think.

repo man11

Are you using Win98? Because this sure sounds like a 98 problem.

Often with 98, there can be an I/O conflict that will not show as a problem in Device Manager. But the device still doesn't work.

I recently had this problem with a 98 machine at work. The NIC had no apparent conflicts, and was listed as working properly in Device Manager. But I still couldn't get the computer on the network.

I swapped the NIC to another PCI slot, and it worked fine.

But XP isn't immune either, especially if the BIOS isn't optimal.

I have my cousin setup with a Chaintech Super 7 motherboard, running XP. If both serial ports and the printer port are enabled in the BIOS, it runs in to some sort of conflict, and won't boot. Since she uses none of these ports, I have them all disabled, and it boots fine. But they are enabled by default, so if you clear CMOS, and don't disable them, the machine won't boot until you disable at least one of the three.

Also, if your BIOS is set to assign an IRQ to USB, try disabling that. Obviously if your USB devices don't work that way, reenable it. But they will probably work fine without it, and that will free another IRQ.

Try disabling your printer port, and one of the two serial ports. Hopefully this wil free up enough resources to enable the remaining serial port.

Last edited:
OP
dorimon81

dorimon81

My machine does boot and I am running XP. None of the ports are disabled. I can try disabling the Printer Port because I don't need it, but where would that get me? And why would I want to disable one more COM port if I need them both?

Also, I wanted to ask what I/O it should be on.

repo man11

dorimon81 said:
My machine does boot and I am running XP. None of the ports are disabled. I can try disabling the Printer Port because I don't need it, but where would that get me? And why would I want to disable one more COM port if I need them both?

Also, I wanted to ask what I/O it should be on.

The most likely reason for the port not working is a resource conflict. The idea is to free up as many resources as possible, to enable Windows to resolve any hidden conflicts.

If you are able to get the second serial port working by disabling the first, this would help to confirm that a resource conflict is the underlying problem. Of course you'll want to reenable it when you are done.

I would also try the latest Via drivers if you haven't already.

OP
dorimon81

dorimon81

I've tried disabling the first, but the second one doesn't work. When I try to search for drivers at the VIA site, there are none to download. Can someone suggest a link to download drivers for a VIA KM266 chipset?

Also, how would I go about resovling a hidden conflict?

repo man11

Here is a link to get the Via drivers, http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

After going through the BIOS and freeing up any possible IRQ's, I would uninstall the non working serial port in Device Manager, and then reboot and let it reinstall. Hopefully that will allow Windows to resolve any possible conflicts that may be causing the problem.