• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install DX9 in XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

I am trying to do the dxwebsetup for DX 9.0a, downloaded from Microsoft, and when it tries to install the components I get an error every time:

"The software you are installing has not passed the Windows Logo testing to verify its compatability with Windows XP.

The software will not be installed. Contact your system administrator."

Seems kinda f'ed up huh?

*sigh* seems like I always end up answering my own question... just had to have Cryptogryphic Services enabled and it worked...

Gregory_WE said:
*sigh* seems like I always end up answering my own question... just had to have Cryptogryphic Services enabled and it worked...
you didnt even wait 10mins for a reply, whats with the sigh?

What he hell is cryptogryphics services? is it something obvious, but it has a weird name?

I was just sighing not because no one replied within that period of time, but I always seem to be able to fix my own problems so I wonder why I post it anyways heh :)

And, it's actually cryptographic services not however I spelled it above... basically it's a service that you can enable/disable like all the others that has to do with the protected root service, catalog database service, and the key service.

Gregory_WE said:
I was just sighing not because no one replied within that period of time, but I always seem to be able to fix my own problems so I wonder why I post it anyways heh :)

And, it's actually cryptographic services not however I spelled it above... basically it's a service that you can enable/disable like all the others that has to do with the protected root service, catalog database service, and the key service.

Yes, without cryptographic services, Windows has no way of checking if a file was authenticated by Microsoft or not so you can think of this service as something like a signature verification utility. As a result, with this service turned off, you can't install a single update from the Windows Update website. You will be able to download the updates but won't be able to install them.

Looks like you are like me, disabling every single service you don't normally use. Well, for some things, it's better to set them to manual than to disabled. Cryptographic Services is one of those services. At manual, it will start only when needed but then it won't stop unless you manually stop it. Annoying but I personally don't do Windows updates every day.

Also, you might already know this but I really like this guide for what services you can safely disable in Windows XP.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Back