• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant make up my mind over what HD to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoPMatrix

I cant make up my mind what brand I want...
WD, Maxtor or IBM

I do a TON of filesharing, and runnin ftps and other servers...
And my comps on 24/7....

I was thinkin the IBM 60GPX 40GB 7200rpm for 80bux,
But I've been hearin alot of stuff about those drives over heatin and ur not suposed to run em for over 8 hours a day.
And in general I hear more stories of ppl havin their IBM drives failing.

Then theres the Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm D740X Plus ATA133 for 80bux
Herd some good stuff about this drive...
But was just wondering,, if MBs IDE channels only suport ATA100, Will the drive still work fine?,,, just it'll be running at ATA100?

Then theres the WD 7200rpm 40GB for 80 bux :p

I dunno what one I wana get, and I also can't make up my mind on ether to get the 40GB or spend the extra 20bux for the 60GB :p ,,, I have about 300GB of media on cds, don't really leave anything on my HD.

But I was just wonderin what brand u guys like...

There really isn't any such thing as one equivalent drive being better than another. You can't base a drive on it's maker, all brands are not immune to manufacturing problems.

I had a Maxtor 40GB which lasted about a year and a half before it started making the Click of Death. I replaced it with a Quantum Fireball AS Plus. The Quantum is much quieter, and obviously faster than the Maxtor was in it's death throes.

I know people who have incredibly old Quantums, Western Digitals and Seagates which are still running well. It all boils down to the features you want versus what you want to pay. Fujitsu seems to be the only brand one wants to stay away from. They (allegedly) make total crap. I've never owned one, so I cant say for sure, but people are always bashing Fujitsu.

You can pick up a 100GB Western Digital with an 8MB cache buffer for around $210-$220, or you can get an 80GB Maxtor for around $140 (Both 7200 RPMs of course). Pick the features you want, and find a low cost. All the good manufacturers support a minimum 3 year warranty anyway, so a drive lasting a long time is a moot point, you can just RMA it when it dies.

If you're really concerned about commiting to a brand, you can go here to check out drive reviews.

Last edited:
LiGhTBoY said:
What's Click of Death?

When the read head's motor or gears start going bad, it will skip, and you'll hear a loud, rapid clicking noise when the drive tries to access or write information. If you start hearing that, it's time to power down that drive until you can get it RMA'd. That way, you wont lose the information on it, and you can copy it over to the new drive before it dies.

About the rapid clicking noise. Isn't the sound very similar to the normal activity sounds? When I start up my computer, I get a rapid somewhat of a clicking sound. It only does this at start up though. The drive is a very new MaxtorD740X. Is it dying already??? :eek:

Despotes said:
About the rapid clicking noise. Isn't the sound very similar to the normal activity sounds? When I start up my computer, I get a rapid somewhat of a clicking sound. It only does this at start up though. The drive is a very new MaxtorD740X. Is it dying already??? :eek:

They are similar, but you'll know the Click of Death when you hear it. It's far louder than normal information accessing.

I would never hear it no matter how load it is....
I got 9 fans in my comp, most of em 80mm
If it wasnt for the power lights on the other comps I couldn't be able to tell it there on :p
I cant hear my HD at all, just the fans :p
loud as hell, I cant even ppl talkin from the other room :p

MoPMatrix said:
I was thinkin the IBM 60GPX 40GB 7200rpm for 80bux,
But I've been hearin alot of stuff about those drives over heatin and ur not suposed to run em for over 8 hours a day.
And in general I hear more stories of ppl havin their IBM drives failing.

Yah, I'm not sure I would recommend IBM anymore. I am in the middle of a RMA my self (60 Gig. 60GPX) I thought that it was just the 75GPX series but I've heard about just as many 60 series going on the fritz lately. I'm not sure about the 120GPX but I've heard thats what they are replaceing all there other RMA'ed drives with so maybe they fixed the problem...:rolleyes:

I say go with Western Digital. I’ve got three of their drives (30gig, 40gig, and 80gig) and I love ‘em. There’re quite, reliable and they don’t run very hot at all. I just felt my 80gig one and it’s barely warm. I’ve never had any problems with them ether. :D :D

IBM's just plain ol' suck! They even say to olny run the 120GXP 8 hours a day, what kind of crap is that? I've had WAY too many IBM's fail. IBM's rma sucks as well. I now like my ATA 133 fluid bearing D740X Maxtors. The "L" in the part number denotes "fluid bearing", J denotes "ball bearing".

Über~PhLuBB said:

When the read head's motor or gears start going bad, it will skip, and you'll hear a loud, rapid clicking noise when the drive tries to access or write information. If you start hearing that, it's time to power down that drive until you can get it RMA'd. That way, you wont lose the information on it, and you can copy it over to the new drive before it dies.

Most drives use 2 permanet magnets and an electro-magnet on the other end from the read head to move the read head. The day's of the motor and gears is long gone.

WD is looking pritty good to me right about now, maybe Maxtor...
WD always did seem to crab that sparkel in my eye :p

Maddman said:

Most drives use 2 permanet magnets and an electro-magnet on the other end from the read head to move the read head. The day's of the motor and gears is long gone.

Just took a look at my open ( don't worry they weren't mine , I just found them thrown away and opened them) HDD and you are right. There is some sort of an electromagnet on the rear end of the head (sort of servo-like) .

I personally like Maxtor right now, because the last 3 HDD's I have owned by them were wonderful. I have never had a problem w/ any of them, and when I buy another one after the 20Gb I have now, I will probably look to them again. I had some minor aggrevations w/ WD a few years ago, and I switched to the Quantum Fireball...and I been w/ Maxtor ever since.

My Maxtor 80GB D740X is king,,, Quiet, Very Fast, and is No.1 when put in RAID0 since it gives you an extra 33MB/s more performance which is needed when two fast drives send information back and forth over IDE.

I have had several Maxtors in the past, all still working 100%. My 2GB Maxtor has been on for almost FIVE years now!!!! 24/7. WOW is all I got to say.

BTW, the 80GB Maxtor will save you a couple bucks over the Western digital 80s.

I cant wait for the D740X 80GB maxtor to come down to $200 because then I'll buy the second one!, then when it comes down to $150, I'll buy a THIRD ONE!!! and run a three way raid!!!

AXIA

Back