• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't oc 955BE normally

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Noise and spikes on the various voltage rails of the power supply are not heard by the human ear. They are seen on a scope as odd crap on the predominent voltage waveform.

The less odd crap within a particular voltage output, the 'cleaner' and better it is for use in DC circuit.

It sounds to me like it is time to clear the CMOS and get the board back to default settings before worrying about overclocking again. Some changes made manually in bios do not RElease well when set back to default or AUTO. A CMOS clearing helps return everything to defaults to begin again.

When increasing voltage on many ASUS boards anything beyond default returns a YELLOW warning that you have passed the default as written by the bios engineer. There are many voltages I use over time that should go beyond RED and on into Red and Yellow for an explosion. I pay NO attention to colors.

You say that you reached X speed by following along with Dolk's tutorial. It sounds time to clear CMOS and begin again with overclocking following along with Dolk. Things change. People update the bios. The cpu begins to falter slightly. Voltages get fonky as a power supply ages. If one does not want to have to take a look-see ever so often and tweak a little, then overclocking is not for them really. Defaults for them all the way.
RGone...

EDIT:
Good pic poco242.
END EDIT.

Ok learned something new about psu's lol ^^

I'm not sure if I understood last sentence correctly, but I occasionally take off my mobo and open EVERYTHING to clean and check it for better performance.
Ok so I will reset CMOS and will start from scratch. I'll return tomorrow with results.

amm... before that a few other questions that were not answered earlier :D
1) should I leave my rams at default settings (1600mhz and 11-11-11-28-2T) ? Aren't 8 gigs too much because I heard that may make oc a bit difficult, is it true or not ?

2) If I will try to increase cpu multiplier and cpu voltage bit by bit, do I need to increase CPU/NB voltage and/or HT, NB ? Or I need to increase its voltages ONLY if I overclock THESE parts ?

Last edited:
This is just from my personal experience with my 965. I am no pro.

No increase to NB voltage was needed until I increased the bus speed.

I had 8gb of ram with no problems. I kept my RAM speed at 1600mhz or less when I increased my bus speed.

I had the most problems when I only increased the multi after the first couple increases. I had to do the bus as well. I kept the HT link at 2000 at the most.

Last edited:
wow 124 error wont leave my alone it glued to me like **** :D

tried oc'ing everything, just cpu, both cpu and rams, with and without fsb or/and multiplier :D started from low and even went for higher voltages like 1,45~ just for 3,6ghz. Found a switch on my PS unit and switched it to "H" the fan started spinning really fast and the noise increased a lot, thought maybe it has 3 power modes or something... xD thought it would produce more power lol but oh well....
increased ram voltage and also tried lowering speed and increasing timings. I don't get it, at least random errors showed up. But now its even more infuriating as it only knows how to show me a single one and only 0x000000124 error.

I thought it had more than enough power but actually that is not what matters here. I think if psu was so weak I would get more different errors like 03B and then I would know I need more core voltage and if I still will be getting same error after increasing the vcore then I'd know that psu really can't handle that much wattage/ or voltage.. Or smth like that...

Its like black magic :D I can pass Prime95 tests, even temps aren't getting higher than 43. I don't even reach the "heat wall" 55-60C so its not crashing from high temps. But I get BSOD while just browsing - watching youtube.

Guys, is it really my crappy psu ? I just don't want to go buy new one and get the same 124 error.

Thank you. I really appreciate it for trying to help me :)

Last edited:
I'd go with the PSU. It only has 18A avaiable on the +12v rail. That would probably be enough from a quality PSU but I have my doubts about that one. Just my opinion. You can always run memtest on the memory to rule it out first.

I can't count how many times I have gotten BSOD 124. 4 times last night, but I am pushing mine to the limit. I have always found it to be either Vcore or CPUNB voltage related. On the list I posted it says QPI/VTT because it is geared to Intel, but that means CPUNB for AMD. I have only gotten a 3B or 1E a couple of times.

I'd go with the PSU. It only has 18A avaiable on the +12v rail. That would probably be enough from a quality PSU but I have my doubts about that one. Just my opinion. You can always run memtest on the memory to rule it out first.

Most good units will have +12v rail with ~60A + . I know my looks weird, only 18 :D but I just noticed there are 4 of them, I think they are just separated. So the total gives me 72A.
My ram sticks are perfectly fine, I did a memtest with no errors.

I can't count how many times I have gotten BSOD 124. 4 times last night, but I am pushing mine to the limit. I have always found it to be either Vcore or CPUNB voltage related. On the list I posted it says QPI/VTT because it is geared to Intel, but that means CPUNB for AMD. I have only gotten a 3B or 1E a couple of times.

After oc'ing I barely can stay for 15min lol, today I crashed and restarted like 20 times with 124 error.
I've found some info in the net that 124 is related with the memory. Now I'm confused :D
Some time ago I used default profile in bios to oc to 3.6ghz, everything was ok and no 124 errors. Now it doesn't work and I actually don't like that profile as it sets my voltage to 1,49 just for 3,6ghz which is WAY TOO MUCH :D I don't want to go more than recommended 24/7 - 1,44v

Oh well, I will try again tomorrow playing with cpu and cpu/nb voltages. Thanks for help ^^

Most good units will have +12v rail with ~60A + . I know my looks weird, only 18 :D but I just noticed there are 4 of them, I think they are just separated. So the total gives me 72A.
It doesn't work that way. Your PSU has a total of 46 amps on the +12v rail.......and those would be advertised amps. The real figure is probably around 32 due to the quality of the unit itself.

Lightsome, how about attaching some captured images of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. That will give us a load of information about your bios settings and your hardware. Crop and save images with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. Rest is obvious.

I think what Lightsome is also trying to say which I haven't seen anyone touch upon is that he is using 4 sticks or ram and when he had it clocked higher before he was using 2 which we all know here puts a heavy strain on the memory controller for those CPU's.

Old saying...Picture worth a thousand words!!!

I have not seen an attached image of what is going on at his end yet.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.
In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

I'm sorry for late reply. I was away from pc for a few days :/

Someone said I'm using 4 sticks. No, I always had 2 sticks. 2x2gb and now 2x4gb. Sticks are identical each 4gb ddr3 and 1600mhz. I have 4 rams slots in mobo, 2 channels. Now they both are working in the first channel and second channel is empty.

RGone, thanks for image uploading tutorial xD
Ok, here are the pictures with everything at stock.

Normal. Without Prime.
Untitled.jpg

After Prime. With same settings.
Untitled2.jpg

Last edited:
Are you intending to overclock using both the FSB and the multiplier or just the multiplier?

The first thing I would do would be to set the memory frequency to 1333 MHz. Right now you have it at 1600 MHz and many Deneb core CPUs won't quite handle that.

The problem is that I did that xD 1333mhz 9-9-9-24-2T and still crashes even at 3,4ghz with BSOD 124, so annoying :D

wait, maybe... I should drop it to even lower speed?

Yes, you should. Set it at 1066 and work toward 1333 mhz with the FSB. Keep the HT Link frequency from exceeding the stock 2000 mhz. Increase the CPU/NB voltage to 1.225 or 1.25 and limit the CPU/NB frequency to 2500 mhz. And, currently, your core voltage is also too low. Set it to 1.425. And disable Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios.

Put 1.6v into the ram, maybe the ram is not receiving a steady "low" 1.5v from the psu, giving it 1.6v may solve the issue, it will be fine running 1.6v, lots of new ram still needs 1.65v and take up to and beyond 1.8v but don't put that into it, 1.6v will be enough if its rated at 1.5v, just another theory for you to test

Ok guys I will try it and report soon.

trents, you know that phenom2 x4 955 stock CPU/NB is 1,175v :D mine is at such low voltage because I was scared to put a higher value as it becomes yellow after 1,150v. But as RGone mentioned I dont have to pay attention to that... well okay I will set it to 1,75v then.
Also I lowered cpu voltage a lot to save some temps on stock clocks :D works fine, less heat from voltage, works even with 1,3v cpu :D ^^

Ok so I shall test it again with 1066mhz @ 1,6v.
Oh, wait. Should I start like from 3,6ghz or increase by tiny bits like +200mhz (3,4) ? Does it have any impact on that ?

-------

EDIT:

Wow, I got better results now :D
Don't know why and how...

First started with 3,4ghz - 1,37v. Ram 1067mhz - 1,5v. Cpu/nb - 1,131.

I passed Prime test (Blend with custom settings, changing each FFT size every 1min xD not 15min. So it'd be faster and overkill lol) and also launched 3Dmark at the same time. As I was crashing some time ago while playing now I'm running both these tests to be more sure if it'll be stable. (Some time ago I was able to pass tests but pc crashed while playing lol)

Then I set 3,6ghz - 1,385v. Same memory settings. And I realised that cpu/nb 1,131v is a bit too much because I saw people having 1,135v only in 4,2ghz range. So I found a table which says at 2200mhz NB speed it should be 1,125.

Then again I passed Prime test. But I crashed with a filthy 124 BSOD error... So I set my cpu voltage to 1,4v (3,6ghz) and DRAM voltage to 1,55v (1067mhz).

GOOD. Passed prime blend test for 15min.(with custom settings so FTTs would change faster giving it more stress in less time). Also launched 3Dmark and in 8mins tests were finished and the cool part is I haven't crashed while Prime Blend test was running at the same time.

I will show you some screenshots including BIOS.

From bottom to top are newer settings.
Also in the middle cpu configuration area, what does the Micro code updation and Secure virtual machine mode mean? Should they be disabled?
bios.jpg

NOW, everything before Prime test. (Switching between CPU/NB voltage 1,125v and 1,131v. Don't know which is better for now.)
Untitled1.jpg

HWmonitor + Prime Blend test. (Ran few tests for 20mins - temps aren't going higher than 41C.)
Untitled11.jpg

EDIT2:

HAH.... at 3,6ghz with the settings you see in the 2nd picture where I highlighted the area in red.... with just Chrome and Photoshop opened MY PC CRASHED -__- . But why ? I made a lot of tests and pc handled running both at the same time Prime Blend test (torture mode) and 3Dmark test, still why it crashed with just chrome and Photoshop opened ?? Same 124 error LOL. DRAM 1,6v doesn't help :/ also tried 800mhz but no luck.
I have an idea, should try doing same testings with the old ram sticks ? 2 x 2GB 1333mhz. ? Is it worth trying?

Any suggestions or conclusions :) ?

Last edited:
trents, you know that phenom2 x4 955 stock CPU/NB is 1,75v
Go ahead and run that then if you think that's stock. IMC will be history in a heartbeat.
FWIW, stock is like 1.1v ;)

Back