• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't OC my 2.8 past 2.9 HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DivineWrath

Registered
Just built my first system:

P4 2.8
Gigabyte 8IHXP v3.0
512MB Samsung PC1066
ATI A-I-W 8500 128MB

I can overclock my system to 156, but anything above 142 knocks out my on-board sound.

Does anybody have any suggestions? (Besides buying a sound card...)

Its your mobo & ram bro. Gigabyte isn't known for high fsb and the RDram is pretty shakey on FSB too. I would think it would be your mobo before your ram though. Yes there have been a lucky few who have gotten thier Gygabytes to oc well...but it doesn't look like your gonna be one of them.

krag said:
Its your mobo & ram bro. Gigabyte isn't known for high fsb and the RDram is pretty shakey on FSB too. I would think it would be your mobo before your ram though. Yes there have been a lucky few who have gotten thier Gygabytes to oc well...but it doesn't look like your gonna be one of them.
do u know that rd is flakey at high fsb??? where do u get your info from?
@ 4x yes RD will flake out at about 145FSB but at 3x i bet the chip will flake out before the RD...

if u can lock ur agp and pci bus do so, then turn ur mem to auto or 3x and u should be good... from there u can start upping the FSB and core voltage as necessary.

AZN

I'm completely stable at 156- but without the on-board audio. My RDRAM is at x4.
With this mobo, I cannot lock the AGP/PCI.
It doesn't seem to be a ram issue.

DivineWrath said:
With this mobo, I cannot lock the AGP/PCI.
That could be the problem, as I've seen lots of issues once the PCI bus gets close to 40MHz. Though some people are able to run higher, I always wind up with HDD problems when trying to run the PCI bus that high. Solution might be a different mobo, or possibly an HDD that doesn't mind the higher speeds.

Lt. Max said:
try puttin ur fsb to 166 mab the 1/5 divider kicks in and everythign goes back in spec :D
arnt dividers only on DDR boards???

AZN

fsb tops out 156? darn.. ur kinda screwed on that then.. well does ur board have pci/agp lock? i think someone asked earleir already.
also try disabling ur onboard audio and get a sound card :D then 156 should b fine

DivineWrath said:
Just built my first system:

P4 2.8
Gigabyte 8IHXP v3.0
512MB Samsung PC1066
ATI A-I-W 8500 128MB

I can overclock my system to 156, but anything above 142 knocks out my on-board sound.

Does anybody have any suggestions? (Besides buying a sound card...)

Buy a sound card. Seriously, I have the same motherboard, and it does the same thing above 150MHz FSB-- the Realtek sound chip craps out. I put in a cheap SB 512 and it will do 152Mhz FSb (2.89GHz) no problem. The Samsung RDRAM is a monster--I think I could hit PC1333 speeds if the FSB and CPU went that far.

hey my pc800 rdram was at 1080mhz at only 133FSB. I increased my fsb to max just to see what would happen, and aparently my intel pentium 4 2.0 ghz processer can go to 3.8 and my memory speed goes well over 2 ghz. I have no doubt that i could not get it past 2.8, as at 2.6 it was kinda shakey, but i decided to underclock it down to 2.26 and it has become more unstable than before. Any one help me, i got an aopen board :D

Back