• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't OC past 3.08ghz i7 920?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oroborus

Registered
Hi I'll list my hardware and current speeds and then I'll move onto my problem =D...

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @3.08
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
RAM: Patriot PVT36G1600LLK 6GB @1543mhz
Graphics: Asus Radeon HD 5850
PSU: Enermax Revolution85+ 1050 Watt.

Okay so, at the moment, with these settings I have everything in the BIOS set to default except the BCLK is at 154 and the ratio for the DRAM FSB is 2:10. These setting work fine, I have had no troubles at these speeds.
Last night I tried to overclock a little further, bring it up to 3.2ghz, so I changed the BCLK to 160, vcore to 1.25v, and DRAM voltage to 1.65v, leaving the RAM ratio at 2:10... Wouldn't boot. From what I know and have seen this isn't really that much of an overclock? Is there something I am doing wrong, I'd love to hear some feedback.

Hmm... The BIOS doesn't have a "VTT" setting, the only things I can see relating to the CPU voltages are: CPU Voltage and CPU PLL Voltage.

I did read your guide MIAHALLEN, and I read about increasing the VTT +0.2v but I don't know what the default is? In the P6T Deluxe BIOS it just says "Auto"... That's why I am asking for a recommendation.

Give these settings a try...

Code:
Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
Intel Speed Step Tech: Disabled
Intel Turbo Tech: Disabled
CPU Ratio: Auto
BCLK Frequency: 190MHz
PCIE Frequency: 100MHz
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1523MHz
UCLK Frequency: Auto
QPI Link Data Rate: Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.25
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.80
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.25
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV

... all other voltages on Auto, and leave the RAM timings at 8-8-8-24 (all sub-timings on AUTO).

Wow, that worked, I'll run Prime95 in a sec... Would it be a bad idea to enable Intel Speed Step Tech and Turbo Tech?

I did read your guide MIAHALLEN, and I read about increasing the VTT +0.2v but I don't know what the default is? In the P6T Deluxe BIOS it just says "Auto"... That's why I am asking for a recommendation.

default is 1.15V ;)

Seems to be stable, ran prime95 for 5 mins... What are acceptable temps?

Thanks to you Miahallen and redduc for getting me started on this, a big help.

Running Prime for only 5 min. isn't really a sign of stability. Let it run for at the very least an hour on blend, and monitor Tjunction (Core temperature) w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp. Depending on the HSF you're using, and how much Vcore your chip needs to be Prime stable at a given clock, shoot for max. core temp's in the 72 - 73C range.

Yeah, thanks for the tips! The cooler I'm using is the H50, but as you may assume it doesn't run to well in the RAVEN RV01 so in a couple of days I'm getting a TRUE, I'll push it further then.

Thanks to you Miahallen and redduc for getting me started on this, a big help.
You're welcome...glad to help :thup:

Running Prime for only 5 min. isn't really a sign of stability. Let it run for at the very least an hour on blend, and monitor Tjunction (Core temperature) w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp. Depending on the HSF you're using, and how much Vcore your chip needs to be Prime stable at a given clock, shoot for max. core temp's in the 72 - 73C range.
I think he was following my guide where I suggest 5 minutes runs for finding a general range. After finding a general idea with short runs, the guide suggests backing off a bit and running for an hour to find basic stability......He's on the right track ;)

Back