• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't update XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike3597

Here's the story, I installed win xp last night without a format and updated:rolleyes: I had sooo many prob's I formated today & reinstalled XP. Now it won't let me update. It scans to 100% and says no updates available try back later. What do I do? By the way, it is a leagle copy, educational software I paid $5.00 Thats why i'm not pi$t off yet.

repo man11

Welcome to the Forums! Is your system clock correct? I reset CMOS on one of my computers, and then went to MS Update, the same thing happened. Then I reset the clock, and it worked like magic.

ptwearnhardtfan

***Edited by SpeeDj;

As this post border's on slightly illegal as a legit windows owner simply has to pick up the phone and call MS for an activation key. Consider this a warning.

J :cool: ***

Last edited by a moderator:

Tipycol

Were you overclocked when you installed windows? If you were, maybe windows did not install correctly and you should just delete then reinstall windows at stock speed/fsb.

Just a thought

Tipycol

OP
Mike3597

Mike3597

Thanks, but it did'nt say it was stolen. It just said there were no updates available. I didn't get the error message that you shuld get with a stolen copy.

If I can't find another solution I will try that.

Thx, Mike

OP
Mike3597

Mike3597

No. I was not overclocked when I installed. Good thought though

OP
Mike3597

Mike3597

Ok, I finaly got it to work. I downloaded the network install (133Mb) on a 56k connection and now everything works fine.
Thanks for all of your help!

Mike

repo man11

I did the same, it took me about 14 hours. It's a good move though, now you'll have it on hand for future reinstalls. It's still odd that Windows Update didn't show any updates available for you though.

DUREX

Disabled
i got sp1 i downloaded that off a diff web site i jsut cant get al the win xp updates says theres nothing to be installed??????

repo man11

If you've installed SP1, then chances are there aren't any other updates available.(right now)
Does it say this after "Scanning for updates"?

DUREX

Disabled
before i put sp1 i tryed scan says there was 0 updates i downlaoded sp1 form a diff site and still says 0 updates

repo man11

That sounds just like Mike3597's problem. With SP1 installed, I went to Windows Update, and there were 4 updates available for my system. Maybe someone else here has an idea? Maybe you should try a call to MS.