• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Use Mouse in Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
So I upgraded my Motherboard to the Gigabyte Z390, booted up Windows 10 and... much to my astonishment... it just WORKED.

It even autodetected my 4K TV and set the resolution and icons to their optimal settings without me having to lift a FINGER.

...then I booted into Windows 7.

Apparently there's some problem with Windows 7 and native USB 3.0 motherboards.

Originally I couldn't use the mouse OR keyboard...

Fortunately my wireless Logitech also came with a PS2 port. Which means at least I can use the keyboard portion...

...no such luck with the mouse.

Fine... fine... Put in the disc... The Gigabyte GUI ONLY SUPPORTS MOUSE!

FINE! Shift-F10... open the disc... install the drivers manually.

All goes smoothly UNTIL windows warns me the driver isn't signed and asks if I want to accept...

...but you can only accept with a mouse!

So I picked up my desktop... hurled it through the closed window... and killed evvvvvvveryboy!

Sigh... Or not.

My previous motherboard was ALSO a Gigabyte... and also had USB 3 ports... no trouble at all. I didn't reinstall Windows 7 because... at some point... I want to UN-install windows 7. So it's the same install... it's just not detecting any of the USB ports.

Any ideas?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Already tried running as administrator.

Last edited:
So this happened to me last week, hope it's the same solution for you as well! I needed to build a quick and dirty system to test a large stack of WD Black drives from our old NAS setup to see if they were wiped/still working. Build went great, why did I have so many spare parts laying around, hokay here we go! no usb at all after installing Windows 7. I tried everything. OLD mice/keyboard, newer mice/keyboard, drivers from way back and even a danged "Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical" from like 1997, and nada.

After hours of frustration I decide to poke around in the BIOS. USB 3 Legacy mode. Enabled it, and suddenly everything worked without drivers on boot. Disabled it again, even with all available Windows updates and drivers for what I had, the USB 3 ports don't work in Windows 7 SP1. Wat. :bang head

So this happened to me last week, hope it's the same solution for you as well! I needed to build a quick and dirty system to test a large stack of WD Black drives from our old NAS setup to see if they were wiped/still working. Build went great, why did I have so many spare parts laying around, hokay here we go! no usb at all after installing Windows 7. I tried everything. OLD mice/keyboard, newer mice/keyboard, drivers from way back and even a danged "Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical" from like 1997, and nada.

After hours of frustration I decide to poke around in the BIOS. USB 3 Legacy mode. Enabled it, and suddenly everything worked without drivers on boot. Disabled it again, even with all available Windows updates and drivers for what I had, the USB 3 ports don't work in Windows 7 SP1. Wat. :bang head

Complete and utter insanity... I know... I looked around for USB 3 legacy... but there was only "USB Legacy" and it was already enabled by default.

I'm trying something a bit more... "unorthodox."

Since I as able to get the keyboard working I went into the Accessibility Settings and enabled the option to control the mouse cursor with the keypad.

Now I can get around... albeit slowly.

I tried running the disc that came with the board but it only has Windows 10 drivers which Windows 10 doesn't even seem to need drivers at all! It just works!

So I'm going to see if I can use my limited mobility to install intel's own USB 3 drivers. Wish me luck!

Disable driver signing. You can do this at the command prompt.

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Then manually install your mouse driver, or USB, or whatever.

Disable driver signing. You can do this at the command prompt.

[FONT=&]bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS[/FONT]

[FONT=&]bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Then manually install your mouse driver, or USB, or whatever.[/FONT]

Did exactly that... Doesn't seem to have made any difference. And all the drivers I find for the Z390 chipset are for Windows 10. Situation is getting DESPERATE. Let me know if anybody has an actual USB 3 driver for Windows 7. (Tried the ASM drivers... didn't work.)

Custom signed modified driver package attached.

Install custom certificate in your certificate authorities.
For example, if you unzip myDrivers.cer in c:\, just run cmd.exe and enter:
certmgr.exe -add C:\myDrivers.cer -s -r localMachine ROOT
certmgr.exe -add C:\myDrivers.cer -s -r localMachine TRUSTEDPUBLISHER

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Reboot windows

Run setup.exe from the driver package.

And voilà, all USB working great on your z390mobo
And F*CK Intel.

Attachments

• Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver_5.0.4.43_signed.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 14
Custom signed modified driver package attached.

Install custom certificate in your certificate authorities.
For example, if you unzip myDrivers.cer in c:\, just run cmd.exe and enter:
certmgr.exe -add C:\myDrivers.cer -s -r localMachine ROOT
certmgr.exe -add C:\myDrivers.cer -s -r localMachine TRUSTEDPUBLISHER

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Reboot windows

Run setup.exe from the driver package.

And voilà, all USB working great on your z390mobo
And F*CK Intel.

Heh... That's exactly what I did. Found it at the same place: https://www.win-raid.com/t4883f52-S...Controllers-of-new-Intel-chipset-systems.html

But THAT was like a SIX HOUR ordeal! First getting my wireless keyboard working through PS/2... then trying literally every combination of drivers under the sun...

So I still had keyboard and no mouse... so I used accessibility settings to control the mouse cursor with the keyboard (which makes the cursor move PAINFULLY SLOW...) so that I could click away all the warnings.

Finally... after a relentless search... I stumbled upon the same thread you did. (I can assure you there's NO other post on the internet besides that one... and now THIS one.)

I'm extremely proud of sticking to it until I got it done. Was going to post this last night but by then it was 2am and I'd spent the entire night working on this...

...which was GREAT! Reminded me of the good old days where I refused to lay head to pillow without solving The Problem. :beer:

EDIT: Actually first I found this thread: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/186260-how-to-install-windows-7-x64bit-on-intel-z390-motherboards/

...which lead to that thread.

Last edited:
Back