• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAS timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mosher

Hey, I'm new :D. Been lurking for a few weeks and decided to finally post.

Well first with system specs:
Athlon XP 3200+(Overpriced and regretting it =/)
Asus A7N8X-DX Rev 2.0
2x 512 Corsair XMS 3200
Radeon 9800 pro
liteon dvd/cd reader
liteon dvd/cd burner
noname floppy
1x 40gig maxtor
2x 120 gig SATA Seagates in RAID 0 Array
Adaptec SATA RAID PCI card

Ok well been starting to experiment with overclocking and just generally messing around. So I was upping the FSB and got up to 210 mhz but haven't gone farther because I still have the stock HSF and didn't want to push it too far. Then I started messing with memory timings and tryed 2-3-3-7 at 210, was getting rounding errors in prime95 so I went down to 205. Still getting errors, ok down to stock 200 mhz and still getting rounding errors. So I went up to 2.5-3-3-7 and it works fine, then upped to 204 mhz fsb and still working fine in prime.

So I was wondering is the 2.5 CAS really going to hurt me so much or are these decent timing settings? Am I doing anything wrong to not be getting 2 CAS timing? Are these timings maybe too agressive for the FSB? Just incase it matters I'm running the memory at 1:1 to the fsb. Thanks in advance. :D

What do you have the vddim @ also what PSU are you using I dont think it's a psu problem but could be @ high fsb. I would think that it's not the ram being able to do cas 2 vs 2.5. but more less another component thats not working correctly maybe the mobo also. Have you do the vdd mod? Did you rasie the vcore when you rasied the fsb what muiltplier are you useing?

3 post left

My PSU is a Antec TruePower 430 watt. Vcore is at stock 1.68 I think? Mult is at stock 11. I've been looking for a vdimm setting in my bios, thought that might be it but I don't see it.

Should be in the same place as the vcore option look under one of the menu's that say (power). If you are running the vcore stock that could be some of problem with not being prime stable @ higher fsb also you need to have the vddim @ 2.8 the max for your board I belive.

P.S. this post right here helped me get my 8th star. so I must say it's not only great to help someone but also get something for it every once in a while bad part is I have to make the same amount of post again 2000 to get 1 more star.

Also you might want to be watching you cpu temp seeing is you are using stock hsf. What is you full load temp?

Let me first say thanks, I'll try looking for vdimm again.

Also my Full load is 51-52 C

Also can you change the muiltiplier on you cpu or is it locked? do you know the stepping or what week chip it is? if the muilti is locked you might not be able to get very high seeing is it would have a 11 muilt which would give you 2.3 @ 11x 209 which might be kinda hard to do with stock cooling.

P.S. welcome to our forum's

TY for the welcome. I haven't tried messing with mult yet, CPU-Z says stepping is A-0 I think thats how you read it. I had it up to 210 x 11 (2315) with stock HSF and it had a max of 53 C on full load running prime but it was unstable so I went back down.

Well my thought are that the cpu is getting to hot and you need better cooling @ that speed plus if you where using stock vcore @ 2315 then you where doing pretty good to even get into window. The stepping is a black label with a bunch of #'s and letter's on the cpu itself it's not anything you can find out without haveing the cpu infront of you and have the ablity to readd it off the cpu itself.

Ah ok well I am planning on getting the Thermalright SLK900A pretty soon like tomorrow, I'll check on steppings then when I put it on most likely.

alrighty hope everything work's out for ya and I hope your getting a tornada with that skl900 will make a good match but loud as hell. I have another tornada on the way and I'am going to replace my smartfan2 in my window with my old tornada and put the smartfan under my vcard to replace the case fan cooler mod for my vcard. I really like the preformance of the tornada over the smartfan2 but I do have to say it is something you will get used to or not seeing is I'am half deaf anyway doesn't really matter to me 1 tornada is the same as 3 IMO LOL.

Lol yeah I'm getting a 92mm Tornado. Thinking of getting a cheap 92mm fan as well if I can find one to make a little duct, I've seen a thread showing the huge deadspot of a 92 somewhere on these forums. I found the Vdimm setting it was labled DDR Reference Voltage. Was set at 2.6 I set it to 2.7 for now and can go to a 2.8 max. Would it get very hot at 2.8 compared to 2.6?

2.8 on vddim is really nothing there is people that run 3.1+ 24\7 all the time mine run's @ 2.97 24\7 so I dont think you will have to worry about getting the ram to hot @ 2.8 should be fine. IMO the 92 vs the 80mm tornada you will be better off with the 80 thats just MO tho. Ducting a fan that suck's air from the outside to the fan on the cpu work's great for me helped me loss about 5c+ temp. I did have a 120 in the window @ once but it was hella loud but I got great temp's with it just couldn't stand it being so loud.

Back