• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tim the Toolman

Registered
Looking for about 200-300 cfm for my case going to make blow holes.What/ Where are some good/ reasonably priced fans.

Stupid question #1
Why would you design a mobo with the cpu next to the powersupply at the top of the case where it generally the hotest?

Probably to keep the high current paths as short as possible and reduce I2R losses. The CPU consumes more current than all the other devices on your motherboard combined.
You don't need 200-300 cfm to remove the case temp from influencing your CPU temp. 50-100 cfm of well placed airflow will do the trick. Bring it in as close as possible to the CPU and remove it as far as possible from the CPU.

Hoot

Also for stupid question #1 a power supply with a fan underneath will help exhaust the heat from the CPUs HSF.

I have played with a lot of fans. For quiet, Panaflow and the high output Sunons and YS Techs when you want to move a lot of air with one fan. I recently purchased ten 86 CFM 120 mm Panaflows. They are super quiet for the amount of air they move. With a few very specialized exceptions, I believe they will be THE FAN in my future projects.

Colin (Jun 04, 2001 01:55 a.m.):
Also for stupid question #1 a power supply with a fan underneath will help exhaust the heat from the CPUs HSF.

I have played with a lot of fans. For quiet, Panaflow and the high output Sunons and YS Techs when you want to move a lot of air with one fan. I recently purchased ten 86 CFM 120 mm Panaflows. They are super quiet for the amount of air they move. With a few very specialized exceptions, I believe they will be THE FAN in my future projects.
Hey Colin, where did you get those Panaflo's?

So in this case I would want to bring the air in the top of the case and exhaust at the bottom? Most of the case mods blow holes I have seen have 2 holes in the side and one at the top. Whats a good price on those fans? Anyone ever use Nidec fans ??

Tim the Toolman (Jun 04, 2001 03:43 a.m.):
So in this case I would want to bring the air in the top of the case and exhaust at the bottom? Most of the case mods blow holes I have seen have 2 holes in the side and one at the top. Whats a good price on those fans? Anyone ever use Nidec fans ??
I have a Nidec Beta V TA450DC model B31356-58 120mm fan on my radiator. It does 112cfm at 48.4 db. It's kinda loud but not too bad. Thing moves some air though.

in my opinion id have the exhaust fan placed at the top of the case and the itnakes in the lower, because hot air naturally rises it just makes sense not to fight the laws of nature or whatever governs that density stuff, its not important anyway.
just in my experience when i set mine up i put a 120 intake lower side and 120 exhaust blowhole and my case temps go down 10 degrees when they are turned on
of course they're dang loud so i usually use my 80's, i should get some panaflos
notice my case temps went down 10 degrees, usually these 120's only make a 1-2 degree difference in cpu temp :(

(degrees in celsius)

BboySkid (Jun 04, 2001 02:08 p.m.):
in my opinion id have the exhaust fan placed at the top of the case and the itnakes in the lower, because hot air naturally rises it just makes sense not to fight the laws of nature or whatever governs that density stuff, its not important anyway.
just in my experience when i set mine up i put a 120 intake lower side and 120 exhaust blowhole and my case temps go down 10 degrees when they are turned on
of course they're dang loud so i usually use my 80's, i should get some panaflos
notice my case temps went down 10 degrees, usually these 120's only make a 1-2 degree difference in cpu temp :(

(degrees in celsius)

I had a blowhole in the top of my case for a while(before I realized it really wasn't helping me enough to be worth it), and I found that if I had the fan exhaust out the top, it caused problems. What problems? Well, what else is at the top of your case, trying to suck air in a different direction? The power supply. The fan I had was significantly more powerful than the power supply fan, and therefore basically made the power supply fan stop spinng(cuz of the pressure on it), and thus stop moving air. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if you have a large case, or a less powerful fan than I had. What might be a better choice, if you have the empty 5 1/4" bays, is to stick a 120mm fan on the front of your case. I found I was able to bump my bus speed up another 5-6mhz(and increase cpu speed another 40-50 mhz as a result) when I did that, but the fan I have is far too loud...it does move a TON of air though :)

I just got done adding 3 Sunon 120mm 68.9cfm fans to my case. Two of them are blow holes at the top. It also dropped my cpu temp by 4c! So at 1466Mhz my cpu is 37c! I didn't think it would make that big of a difference. But now I should be able to clock it higher! Woohoo! :):):):)

BboySkid (Jun 04, 2001 02:08 p.m.):
in my opinion id have the exhaust fan placed at the top of the case and the itnakes in the lower, because hot air naturally rises it just makes sense not to fight the laws of nature -snip-

The tendency for hot air to rise is a very sublte process. It quickly becomes a non-issue in the presence of forced air-flow.

Hoot

nidec, sunon, delta,panaflo,ADDA,antec, boxer , sparkle, PC power and cooling and sanyo are all good brands, I'm sure there are other good ones , but you'll not go wrong with any of these. the sunon's will be tha least expensive.

Check out AMDs case cooling guide lines at www.amd.com They recommend air flow in from the front and up and out the back in a "Z" pattern. I added one 92mm fan sucking out to the side of my case with a 3" hole saw right between the PCI slots and CPU location. This kept my case 1 degree C cooler with the case buttoned up than with the case open. I was shocked!

i got problem with my cooling

i have asus a7v with duron 700 my mobo temp is 31C and CPU is 61C.... i know 61 is alot i have orb and apperantly it cant cool for beans i isntalled 1 fan infront of computer blowing in and other fan at the back blwoing out it did drop my temp by around 3C... i going to buy a Volcano 2 fan looks fast and quet but should i also cut a small squear on side of the case panel and put 1 or 2 fans blowing air out ?
thanks

i got problem with my cooling

rush (Jun 05, 2001 02:13 p.m.):
i have asus a7v with duron 700 my mobo temp is 31C and CPU is 61C.... i know 61 is alot i have orb and apperantly it cant cool for beans i isntalled 1 fan infront of computer blowing in and other fan at the back blwoing out it did drop my temp by around 3C... i going to buy a Volcano 2 fan looks fast and quet but should i also cut a small squear on side of the case panel and put 1 or 2 fans blowing air out ?
thanks

I had good results by putting a fan on the side. Made my system cooler with the case closed than open.

Back