• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case size help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

Hello!
I just built my new computer in a case that I got from a friend for free. Loved the case at first, but once I started putting the computer together, I found out the case is too small. I have seen the terms micro, mini tower, server, full tower, but have not seen any measurements for them.

My case is 8" wide 16" tall and only 15" deep (excluding the front cover). My problem is the hard drives are only a half inch or so from the ram, the cables are all bunched up around the motherboard, and I have to take the video card out to put in my second hard drive. What kind of case do I look for? I need one a couple of inches deeper.

Thanks for any and all help (abit nf7-2, 2 hard drives, 1 floppy, 1 cd rom, hopefully a cd burner in the near future).
E

Sony

Senior Lighting Designer
Cheiftec Dragons are nice and have removable HDD cages really spacious. They come in many colors and aren't expensive at all. Only thing is the are made out of steel and can be heavy. Other than that they are Great.

larrymoencurly

I have a case of the exact same dimensions, and with a larger mobo that measures about 8.5" x 12", I can't install a 5.25" drive except in the very top bay, which is above the mobo.

I've found that a case should measure at least 18" long, excluding the front plastic, to let the 5.25" drives clear even the largest mobo.

I install hard drives vertically to keep them cooler, either by hanging them from the bottom drive bay (may have to use big washers to cover large holes or drill holes if there aren't any holes) or, if the drive bays extend all the way to the floor, I attach them to a side of the bay (needs spacers or long screws).