• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case w/ all connections, drives and contols on one side?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom.jelly

Registered
My system is in a furniture cabinet with no acess from the back and I would like the optical drives, power button, cables, etc to all come from the same side because I change peripherals, monitors, etc a lot. anyone make a case like this or will I have to make my own?

tom

Dooms101

I am guessing you want the I/O panel and consequently the PCI expansion slots all facing out and on the same side as the power button, usb etc. I highly doubt there is any case like that considering most people would never need or want one. If you don't have access in the back, is there any way for air to be directed out the back? Or, is it completely blocked off? Entertainment cabinets are notorious for horrible ventilation, so moving air in your case could be difficult. I am almost certain you'll have to make your own case, or modify a cheap one. If you wouldn't mind posting what kind of equipment is going into it, and the space constraints we could better help you out.

OP
T

tom.jelly

Registered
There is room all around, and ventilation at the rear and top of the cabinet, which is 23x20x33h. It will be the only PC in the cabinet, but I might add a small 4 drive NAS later on. horizontal rack mount would be fine. I have a fan in the top of the cabinet but would like to not have to run it if possible- an external heat exchanger or ducting would be OK. the PC will be on 24/7, like the one it will be replacing. the machine will probably be an x58mobo core i7, 5970 vid card, 8-24gb of memory, 256g ssd, (2) 10k rpm drives, a tv card & modular psu.
t

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
Tom,

You NEED to have some sort of exhaust ideally running since that is not an open area or you will run into overheating issues. If you can, please post up a pic of the area, furniture and location.

I have not seen anythng similar to what you are asking about in a very long time, you may have to make do with longer cables run around to the area you have exits at.

Coolingwise, I would suggest you put in at least 2 120mm fans to eliminate the heat output. In my computer rack, I have a top exhaust consisting of 6 120x38mm fans that run constantly and certain components STILL get warm to the touch when active.

Dooms101

Yeah some pictures of your cabinet would be very helpful, and considering you're putting in an i7 and a 5970 you will need some serious cooling. The i7's with a stock heatsink reach 70C to 80C in a normal case; if your cabinet is like most HTPC setups, you could have wayyy too much heat build up. The dimensions you gave however suggest that you have plenty of room, put are those inches or centimeters?

OP
T

tom.jelly

Registered
all dimensions in inches. I can open up the back of the cabinet more, there is a 4-1/2" fan at the top and two 3x18" openings in the back of the cabinet, one at the top and one at the bottom, and a cabinet door in front. the bottom PC will be gone and the other one will be replaced with the core i7 rig. It would be great if I could use a large, thin external heat exchanger (like those on the back of old refrigerators) as the back of the cabinet is huge. the pc is in the center top section. Excuse the mess, its all temporary. I put a slide out in the bottom, but I'd rather just have everything on the outer side of the chassis.

Attachments

• Img_2329.jpg
    Img_2329.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 122
  • iphoneh.jpg
    iphoneh.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 120

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
Ok its the upper cabinets in the lower pictures I assume? You DEFINITELY need better exhaust in that case.

My suggestions would be as follows:
Some sort of intake for the cool air to enter that area without having to prop the door open.

At least 2 more 120mm fans exhausting the air out of that cabinet. You will run into huge heat issues if you upgrade to a I7 and other new parts, my laptop is an I7 and I have to sit it so it doesnt try to cook my leg.

You could run USB extenders, longer DVI cables etc for everything you need including playing/ripping CD/DVD's. cut a hole in the wall behind the cabinet, and a hole below the cabinet by the desk, look for either wall plates or Keystone jacks to set up the connections you need at desk level and keep the computer out of site.

Without better cooling though you will just have a overheated hidden computer though.

Dooms101

Well you have a ton more space then what I thought. You could actually use a water cooling setup if you don't mind the maintenance. I wouldn't take my word for it, since I've never used water cooling before. But maybe adding a radiator or two mounted kinda like that top fan that have the tubing run down into a case facing backwards. You could probably put a regular high end PC case in there with all the regular fans, but the ambient temperature inside the cabinet might get really hot. You're best bet for taking the heat outside of the cabinet is to put an external water cooling radiator either on the top or on the back of the cabinet.

OP
T

tom.jelly

Registered
It is the top center cabinet. I might also put a louvered door there, but I'd rather not, water cooling seems like the best way to go, but I don't know if even with having water cooling to the processor if there would still be too much heat. can I water cool the videocard as well? What else that generates heat can get cooled? thought about that submerged mineral oil setup but that seems like way more hassle than its worth especially with changing cables and such and would require a large volume of oil to cool that much.
t

Dooms101

Well there's wayyyy too many reasons why you should NOT go with oil. And water blocks are available for just about anything in your computer. You can get blocks for your NB/SB, mosfets, GPU, CPU, hard drive, PSU, and ram. Although You'd probably only need it for your CPU, GPU, and maybe NB/SB. I would definitely take Adragontattoo's advice with the fan setup, even with W/C you're gonna need alot more ambient ventilation.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
what else generates heat?

HDD
Video Card
PSU
MB components

You can water cool the GPU and CPU without issue, but you still have to put the heat somewhere, the heat doesnt vanish, it just gets moved from the CPU/GPU to the water and then radiator to expel the heat.

If you want to look at watercooling my suggestion would be to take your time, do it right and dont cheap out.

CmdrBond

Registered
Apart from the heat issues, I have quite a simple solution in mind - certainly what I would do any way.

Firstly - More exhaust as already suggested, I would choose the upper rear of the cabinet and put a couple of 120's in there at least. Some intake wouldn't go a miss either. [/edit] looking at the picture again, intake in the bottom front and exhaust in the top front might be better. [/edit]

The idea of having it water cooled isn't too bad either, you could even mount the reservoir on the inside of the door so long as you have enough tubing and a powerful enough pump.

Now for the good bit - get rid of the cases altogether.

Get some 2"x1" for supports and some ply or similar for shelves - create as many shelves as you need for mainboards, same again for drives etc...

With a little bit of work and 4 or 5 shelves (and maybe some longer drive cables) et voila - all ports at the front and a lot less cooling to worry about.

(well, thats the theory anyway ;))