• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CaseFan+PSU problem/help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AgNa

Registered
Ok First post and I need to clear some doubts.
I`m totally out of money so I decided to use old AT PSU fans as case fans. So I followed this guide http://www.overclockers.com/tips1042/ But using the 3 pin conectors on the board didn`t work, and for some strange reason now the mobo don`t read the rpm of the amdfan:confused: I want to add 2 or maybe 3 fans to my case couse my sys is at 61C (amd Athl.750). Becouse the guide didn`t work for me I tried to connect the fan to a 4 pin conector (Yellow and Black cables,+12v right?) The Fan started I was on the bios couse the Fan conection was temporal, but suddenly the PC made the typical restart/boot sound but it didn`t restart/boot it was still on the bios, So I shuted the PSU down removed the fan. then the PSU didn`t start:( I Opend the PSU all was OK. Plugged it again and it started fine:rolleyes: . MY question is, I havea 300 Codgen PSU with all the 4 pin conectors (molars right?) used by the 2 HD and 1CDRW+1CD-rom. The only conector I have free is the 3 1/2 Floppy, Can I connect the 3 Fans (12V 0.13a and 0.24a) to that conector with out blow out my PSU?? Or I should use another method? Should I use the yellow and the Black cables or not?
Thanx a lot in advance and sorry if this was a long thread, I just want to be precise

PS: Any Idea why my PSU did that??

lazerin

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Yes, you should be able to run the fans off the floppy lead. Just use the 12v and ground lines. However, I'm not 100% sure about the amount of current (amps) that your psu can take so you might want to start with adding one fan, then two....and so on.

OP
AgNa

AgNa

Registered
Thanx for the nice Welcome!!!
Theres 2 more points I want to know, The floppy cable comes from the same cable HD`s are using conecting the Fans there put my HD`s in risk?, and my PSU is a Codgen 300W it enough for all the divices I have +2fans?.
And why did my PSU restart when I conected the Fan to the Molar conector? Is that a signal that theres something worng??
Thanx a lot one more time

PS: My PSU says +12V 14amp and -12V 0.8 amp.:rolleyes:

lazerin

Well, you should never connect things when the comp is turned on. The PSU doesnt like sudden changed like that :)

p.s its molex connectors :) Molar is your teeth :D