• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAT 5 is always CAT 5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnerma

Just set up my first little network /w a D-link 604 & 3 boxen. But when I bought the CAT 5 to connect from the PCs to the router one of them doesn't 'work'. That being the belkin 'crossover' cable. So I'm guessing this is a special kind of cat5 that is meant to go between 2 NICs & not through a router, is that correct? If so I shall take it back to the guy from Radio Shack and perhaps strangle him with it :rolleyes:

KILLorBE

Yup, to connect 2 NIC's you'll need a crossover cable, but routers and hubs don't need that (Well at least AFAIK).

BTW: Could you make a movie when you strangle the guy;) :D

OP
Gnerma

Gnerma

Alright, I took it back but unfortunately the guy who sold it to me wasn't there :( The lady who processed the return knew about the difference, I should have asked her to strangle the guy the next time she sees him.. Oh well got all three of my boxen hooked into my router now..

Neoplasia

Registered
KILLorBE said:
Yup, to connect 2 NIC's you'll need a crossover cable, but routers and hubs don't need that (Well at least AFAIK).

BTW: Could you make a movie when you strangle the guy;) :D
Correct, rather they CAN'T use it. When you're using an Uplink port then things can be different, but for hooking PC's to routers/hubs you want the normal cable. Lol what a bonehead for giving you a crossover. :D

OP
Gnerma

Gnerma

Neoplasia said:
Lol what a bonehead for giving you a crossover. :D

Eh, I was a bonehead too for not knowing. I asked simply for "CAT5". So I can't really blame him, I was just as ignorant. Oh well at least I know now.

KILLorBE

Neoplasia said:

Correct, rather they CAN'T use it.

Ooops my bad:eh?: (Huge typo:p ).

Gnerma said:
Eh, I was a bonehead too for not knowing. I asked simply for "CAT5". So I can't really blame him, I was just as ignorant. Oh well at least I know now.

He's still a bonehead for selling you two different cables:p