• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cat5 (E)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

So I found this cable (I call them ethernet cables. Technically I suppose it's a cat 5)

anyways it says something like CAT 5 E (enhanced 350MHZ) on it and it's thicker and more robust than the usual. I also noticed each lead is five strands of much purer copper vs 1 strand of poor copper and the ends are connected via a pure copper full length pin vs a wire to a pin for each connection.

Bla bla--

I've noticed a more stable internet connection using it from my modem to my ethernet (onboard) vs a cheapo cable (no router/switch)

am I tripping out?

So I found this cable (I call them ethernet cables. Technically I suppose it's a cat 5)

anyways it says something like CAT 5 E (enhanced 350MHZ) on it and it's thicker and more robust than the usual. I also noticed each lead is five strands of much purer copper vs 1 strand of poor copper and the ends are connected via a pure copper full length pin vs a wire to a pin for each connection.

Bla bla--

I've noticed a more stable internet connection using it from my modem to my ethernet (onboard) vs a cheapo cable (no router/switch)

am I tripping out?

I don't know why your interent connection is more stable, but read this regarding the 'The Cat 5e “350 MHz” debacle'

Long story short as long as the cables integrity is not compromised you should not notice a difference in speed or stability between CAT 5/5e/6 as it pertains to your internet connection.

Any Cat5 cable (enhanced or otherwise) should well be able to carry more than your internet connection is capable of producing. Chances are good that your other cable had damage or poor shielding or the act of simply replacing it led you to route the cable away from an interfering source.

Whichever the case may be, enjoy your speed buddy!

Back