• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Catalyst No More: AMD Announces Radeon Software Crimson Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The Catalyst we have known and love will now be put out to pasture, ushering in an exciting era of new software under the Radeon moniker. The familiar name brings back warm and fuzzy feelings of days gone by, but this software suite is more than just drivers.

More than a month ago, AMD announced the creation of Radeon Technologies Group with industry veteran Raja Koduri at the helm. This group is tasked with integrating all things GPU, including hardware, software, design and more. The first major announcement came today in the form of a new software suite, or "mini graphics operating system" as AMD dubs it.

Click here to view the article.

To me when I hear "mini graphics operating system" I hear heavy resource or bloat. I'm hoping I'm wrong. It also sounds like they're incorporating the eVolve software into the driver software. We'll have to wait and see I guess. Fingers crossed that we'll be able to disable some of the features for benching.

Good points. I am not sure on that front... hopefully its just marketing speak.

At least currently in their driver package, you can choose what to install (which I only install CCC and the driver, nothing else, ever).

Yeah, overall I don't love it. Configuring game profiles is a little easier as it picks up installed games.

It doesn't pick up my free-sync monitor Hz range properly (says 35-60 fps instead of 90 for some reason).

not a fan of this, going to go back to catalyst asap.
currently run a dual monitor setup, with a third cable going to my TV, have to disable one of my monitors to watch anything on the TV.
with catalyst this was easy, took about 10 seconds.
with this new crimson software, i cant figure out how to do it at all without unplugging one of my monitors...

I am not a fan of this either, it seems all the stuff is hidden now or removed, also going back to ccc

A warning to people here. I was browsing /r/hardware and /r/amd and there are many people saying they are having issues with fan speeds not working properly after updating to the Crimson drivers. In some cases their cards died.

Upgrade at your own risk. I'll be downgrading back.

A warning to people here. I was browsing /r/hardware and /r/amd and there are many people saying they are having issues with fan speeds not working properly after updating to the Crimson drivers. In some cases their cards died.

Upgrade at your own risk. I'll be downgrading back.

Ive been running with Crimson drivers since release and my fans are kicking on as expected, just FWIW.

I realize it may be a small % thing, just something to keep in mind. It appears from reading that the overdrive fan settings can cause weird things to happen with aftermarket cards and the application may have weird interactions with afterburner (or your app of choice)

I've been successful installing this on one pc with an r390 but the other with an r290 fails install constantly. This seems eerily like the last time AMD released a "special" driver... Mantle anyone?
To me when I hear "mini graphics operating system" I hear heavy resource or bloat. I'm hoping I'm wrong. It also sounds like they're incorporating the eVolve software into the driver software. We'll have to wait and see I guess. Fingers crossed that we'll be able to disable some of the features for benching.
You can still choose to leave evolve off.

I've been successful installing this on one pc with an r390 but the other with an r290 fails install constantly. This seems eerily like the last time AMD released a "special" driver... Mantle anyone?

You can still choose to leave evolve off.

I think that it is getting merged into the software. Right now it is still a separate check box, but I imagine that it eventually won't be a checkbox and will just be part of it.

Welp I installed this new Crimson package last night and so far no issues. I have to try a variety of games with it still though. The new high level interface is slick!

more like RADON software.
ha
get it
it will suffocate your card.

jk i know they had the update fix... possibly i wouldnt know i havent turned my pc on in like 5 days.
i dont dislike the radeon software i guess. its not bad, not that awesome either.... specially after we've had the same CCC for like 10 years.

Back