• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ccfl tubes in water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
i had an idea about taking the tube out of a ccfl (take the plastic crap of) and use it inside of a resivior.
what i was wondering is would that be safe to do?
i would have thje ends out of the water and sealed off so they wont get wet only the middle glass (i think) tube.

thanks in advance, ~Magick_Man~

Smizack

Dead Boomslang collector
Probably not safe, but I'd make sure the tube was sealed. Silicone mabey.

CheeZeTM

the CCFL is used on high-voltage, if you pull it out, theres a large change that it will short out in water
it takes the 12VDC ant changed it into about 7-800VAC yes, 7-800volts you would be better ogg finding a small tube and sealing it better and mounting it, but i wouldent reccoment anything combineing the tubes and water

Mark620

magick_man said:
i had an idea about taking the tube out of a ccfl (take the plastic crap of) and use it inside of a resivior.
what i was wondering is would that be safe to do?
i would have thje ends out of the water and sealed off so they wont get wet only the middle glass (i think) tube.

thanks in advance, ~Magick_Man~

NO Don't do it. It might be sealed at the start but over time it will short out in the water. It is extremely dificult to make an electrical device submersible.

OP
magick_man

magick_man

Forum Magician
ok fine i wont do it, until i modify the tube it came in to let me seal it up and put that in the water.

thanks for the responses, ~Magick_Man~

1-Man-Army

Nightingale

I know but there is more risk for failure with this resulting in a short potentially frying hardware(not just the inverter either). Plus if you were to rough up the center tube so its cloudy it would help diffuse the light and you wouldn't be able to tell the CCFL is inside another tube. Another benefit about not gluing the CCFL in place is the ease of changing colors and if need be the cold cathodes(they aren't supposed to burnt out that easy, but I have heard of failures).

OP
magick_man

magick_man

Forum Magician
ok well the whole idea behind this is to have a sort of "waterwall" that is lit by ccfl's.
i am making an external box for my w/c stuff and i was thinking about putting a waterwall in the front of it so the water goes through that just before it goes back into my pump/res. (submersible pump in a tupperware res) and have a ccfl in the top and bottom behind a piece on aluminum or something so it cant be seen and only the glowing blue water can be seen. and have the water travel between 2 pieces of plexiglass with the back one frosted or something so you cant see in just see the water.
i think it would be pretty sweet, if this is confusing i willl try to work it up in inventor if i have the spare time and show you,so you can understand what i am trying to do.

~Magick_Man~

Nightingale

so you want to hide the CCFL and just use the light to backlight the water kinda? If so then I would definitely put the CCFL in a sealed piece of acrylic so water can't get to it and it seems as though the asthetics of this aren't imparative since they will be hidden to an extent. Great idea with using the water as a display.

OP
magick_man

magick_man

Forum Magician
yeah it sounds good but i just hope it wont be to extremely difficult to make.
i am waiting till my fans for my heater core arrive until i start designing/ building my box for all this stuff
right now i am looking at about 8 x 8 x 16" (w x h x l) for the box. and it will hold my heatercore w/ shroud and fans, the pump and res, the power supply for my cpu peltier, and this water wall assembly. and it is starting to seem awfully crowded in there.
so i may have to go either longer or wider, we will see when i start designing all this stuff in inventor.

thanks for the responses, ~Magick_Man~