• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD Drives Can Only Read Burnt CDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SITEOD

Registered
when i set up my new computer everything was going great until i wanted to copy my backed up data from burnt cds. it drives can read the cds just fine but when i go to copy anything (except for music) or install anything it gives me errors. anyone else have trouble with this?

Is your CD scratched?? I'm sure that'd be the first thing you'd check, but some people.... :)

Also, does it work fine with other CDs? If not, and depending on how old your drive is, it may have a dirty lens. You could test by stealing a CD drive from another system and seeing if it works. Or, buying a CD lens cleaner and seeing if that does anything.

JigPu

Are you trying to copy through a standard CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, or your burner? I'd try copying through the burner, if you haven't already. Burners are usually more tollerant of reading errors.

Also, if those discs aren't closed or finalized, some CD-ROM drives will have a hell of a time making sense of them. My 4x laptop drive needs ten to fifteen minutes to crunch and churn on an unclosed disc before it'll let me read it.

yes, my cds are scratched, but it hasnt been a problem before. it works fine with normal cds that i've bought, and that's the weird thing. and yes all my cds are finalized, i make sure of that :)

oh yea, im trying to use my burnt cds in both my burner and my dvd-rom, but neither will work

i dunno, like $25 for a 50 pack of Memorex cds. this has never happened before and these cds have been burned recently, like within the last 2 or 3 weeks

Back