• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD rom refuses to show up in windows 7 or 10 on MSI x97 gaming 3 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toomnymods

Well this issue has been going on for over a month now and I've tried everything from a total system rebuild, buying another cd rom, upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7, upgrading all my msi drivers thru their MSI live update program. I even upgraded my bios to the latest version. nothing is working. Called Microsoft and they assured me that it isn't a software issue and is a hardware issue as in the device manager it doesn't even show a (cd rom device in there) never had this problem before in the 15 -20 yrs of owning a damn computer.. dunno what else to do besides to just take out the msi mobo and throw it against the wall? any ideas before I do this?
thanks..

You mentioned you updated the BIOS, the newest is v2.9. Is that what you are running?

It seems SATA ports 1-6 are from the Z97 chipset, are you using one of these? Does the BIOS report the drive? Do you have chipset drivers installed? Have you reset the BIOS to default to see if you may have changed a setting which disabled the drive? Have you tried swapping the HDD and ODD cables to see if the HDD stops functioning?

If two different model drives are not working, chances are it isn't the drive, but rather a configuration issue.

You mentioned you updated the BIOS, the newest is v2.9. Is that what you are running?

It seems SATA ports 1-6 are from the Z97 chipset, are you using one of these? Does the BIOS report the drive? Do you have chipset drivers installed? Have you reset the BIOS to default to see if you may have changed a setting which disabled the drive? Have you tried swapping the HDD and ODD cables to see if the HDD stops functioning?

If two different model drives are not working, chances are it isn't the drive, but rather a configuration issue.

yes i'm using one of the sata cables and its plugged into the dataports on the mobo. I have the 2.9 bios and yes both drives both show up in the bios, but neither will operate when you push the button, the tray will not open and eject the cd, etc. I installed the chipset drivers that was in the package for the msi update tool. I don't know what you mean as fas as diabling the drive in the bios? I haven't messed with the bios really in this setup and everything is in the default positions. everything worked fine as I used this cd rom to install the operating system just 2 months ago and about a month ago it just stopped working.

If the tray doesn't open, you might have another issue. Do you have another system to test the drives on? This is the first test I would try, to rule out a dead drive. However, showing up in the BIOS is strange.

I would still attempt a BIOS reset, just in case you bumped a setting.

I tried a bios reset and that did nothing but mess up my sound, think I'm pretty much done with this mobo, guess back to toms hardware to read reviews to find the best mobo under 350.00. I'll just use this one for some target practice for my 12 gauge benelli shotgun

Before you throw it out, I'd try it on another system so you know the drive is functional.

Back