• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD-RW as a Primary drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notasparagus

Is it possible to use a CD-RW drive as a primary drive, I have a computer with only one 5.25 inch bay and a DVD drive in it currently, and would like to replace it with a CD-RW drive. I dont use the DVD drive mush at all, and figure I could replace it with something I actually use. I hardly ever see people do this, so is there a reason why no one does? The only reason I can see is that it would be harder to copy CD's.

Mr.DLucey

That's all I have is a CD-RW drive. No dvd and no floppy drive. I have a no latency system. No serial ports or parallel ports also.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
notasparagus said:
Is it possible to use a CD-RW drive as a primary drive, I have a computer with only one 5.25 inch bay and a DVD drive in it currently, and would like to replace it with a CD-RW drive. I dont use the DVD drive mush at all, and figure I could replace it with something I actually use. I hardly ever see people do this, so is there a reason why no one does? The only reason I can see is that it would be harder to copy CD's.

CD copying "on the fly" is usually not as reliable as writing a temp image to the hard drive, which is what you would be doing by having only one primary drive. I have the same at work and home and I have no issues. Why not keep the DVD drive installed?

OP
notasparagus

notasparagus

Re: Re: CD-RW as a Primary drive?

cw823 said:

Why not keep the DVD drive installed?

I would, but I only have one 5.25 inch slot and would rather have something I would use more often. I don't really use my dvd drive that much.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Re: Re: Re: CD-RW as a Primary drive?

notasparagus said:

I would, but I only have one 5.25 inch slot and would rather have something I would use more often. I don't really use my dvd drive that much.

True, gotta love cases with only one 5 1/4 bay! :mad:

GT2000

Well, incase you did use the DVD drive occasionally (maybe you don't have another dvd player for instance) you could always pick up a dvd/cd-rw combo drive, there's a couple different models in the $80 range at newegg.

Kid Payne

There's nothing to it. It works and it's a normal/common thing just to have a CDRW in the 'puter as the primary drive.