• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CDROM and Freeze- up!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDXNC

My comp was runing fine till about a week ago , no hardware changes or anything, except a new mouse.. no biggie, but since about the end of last week, everytime I try to use my cdrom to read cd's... after about 30 sec- 2 mins Windows XP freezes solid. Anyone else ever have this problem or know what I can do about it? And it neer did it when burning cd's, but now I just burned one cd fine but the second one I tried locked up my system when it was 50% done :mad: Someone must have some clue... pleaseeee!!! I tried going back a week but made no difference.

Try the drive in another system. See if you can burn a couple cds with it. Remount/Change the ide cable. See if that makes a difference.

I'm not sure if 4in1 drivers are used with xp or not. I'm running win2k. But, have a look and update your drivers too.

I found the prob, I unplugged my MS Sidewinder game pad and no more problems.... except it won't turn off when i shutdown... won't restart either, stops where it says windows is shutting down.

Pretty bad when MS's own game pad causes problems with its OS.

Back