• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 2.2GHz @ 3GHz on stock air cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the celeron handles UT2k3 and splinter cell very nicely, and i think it is good enough for what i use it for,(ripping to divx, and playing games) i am happy because it is my first high end computer, i had a P2, then K6-II, then this, so big step for me and i got a good deal on the processor so im not complaining

Anaxagoras1986

Anaxagoras1986

In 2001 I get 175xxx+ and in 2003 54XX+ or something along those lines, I'll post all my stuff on tuesday when I come back from the long weekend :D

Remember my mobo only uses single DDR so its not too shabby at this speed :D and i still havent enabled HT :D

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

I wish my Radeon9700 could OC better, cause in reality its a P:mad:S!!! And I'm about to do something Drastic to it!!

Peace Out,

Kam

Celeron 2.2GHz Overclocking

I just overclocked a Celeron 2.2GHz to 3.19GHz using the stock air cooler earlier this week. I haven't seen any problems and I'm using the default hardware monitor for the system to check the temperatures. Here's a review I wrote more on the SFF but it has tidbits on overclocking...

The IWILL XP4 Small Form Factor (SFF) PC Review

XP4.jpg

So I haven't written a review of anything in a while, but I've decided to write a review of the latest PC I've purchased. For the past year, I've been looking into small PC's and VIA's offering of a motherboard and CPU in their EPIA line intrigued me, but the problem was the VIA C3 CPU wasn't very powerful and was $150 for the micro-motherboard/cpu alone. Last week, I was looking through the weekly Fry's ad and I noticed a small integrated computer for $200. It was the IWILL XP4 Small Form Factor PC. The main thing that attracted me to this computer is that it is tiny, very tiny for a desktop computer. It's dimensions are: 6.3"Wx7.5"Hx10.64"D. Now it doesn't have the bells and whistles of Shuttle's XPCs, but it costs a lot less compared to those type of systems anyways. I won't go in-depth into the performance of this computer, for that you can read the other reviews list at the bottom, but rather I'll go into my experience with this PC.

The IWILL XP4 comes with support for Socket478 P4's or P4 based Celerons. It sports 6 USB2.0 ports (2 in the front, 2 in the back and 2 internally), PS/2 keyboard/mouse connectors, 1 serial and 1 parallel port, 1 Ethernet NIC port and 6 channel audio. For drives, it has a 3.5" half height internal drive bay and 1 bay for a 5.25" CD-ROM/DVD drive. It also features 1 PCI slot for expansion, but there is no AGP slot. So if you are planning to make a gaming machine out of this computer, I would look else where. For video, it uses shared memory with the system memory, but with a different twist. It uses something from Intel called Intel Extreme Graphics. The difference between this and traditional shared video memory is that it dynamically allocates memory depending on what you are doing. Unlike the older systems that I've used in the past where you can set the video memory size in the BIOS, on this XP4 system, you set a video buffer size, either 1 or 8 megs and the Intel 82845 video chipset does the rest. This provides pretty decent graphics support for 2D applications and Intel claims decent 3D performance:
Can you experience stunning graphics without the expense of an add-in graphics card? Yes.
Intel® 845GE, 845GV, 845G and 845GL chipsets feature integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics, a revolutionary graphics core that delivers intense, realistic 3D graphics with sharp images, fast rendering, smooth motion, and incredible detail. This unique architecture enables balanced memory usage between graphics and the system for optimal performance. Extreme graphics architecture was uniquely designed to complement the capabilities of the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor, and also supports the Intel® Celeron® processor.

For all the parts I bought everything at Fry's. Here's a listing of what was purchased and at what price:
IWILL XP4 PC with Celeron 2.2GHz Retail Boxed ($199)
512MB PC2700 Generic DDR SDRAM ($50)
80GB Maxtor 7200RPM Ultra w/ 8MB cache and fluid dynamic bearing motor ($50)
iceberg-DDR Copper Memory Heatspreader ($8)
Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound ($3)
=====
Total: $310 + Tax

I also used stuff that I had purchased before:
40x-12x-48x CD-RW Burner ($30)
D-Link DWL-520+ 802.11b Wireless PCI Adapter ($30)

So for a total of $370 I built a complete system that's pretty small, easy to assemble and performed pretty well stock, but I read that people were able to overclock the 2.0 and 2.2GHz Celerons easily and I wasn't too sure if I could on this system. The original version of the XP4 came with a BIOS made by WizPro, which I heard wasn't very overclock friendly . Fortunately, IWILL changed their BIOS code to AWARD and shipped the newest versions with this BIOS pre-installed. The default FSB for a Celeron CPUs is 100MHz, and in in the BIOS there's 1MHz frequency adjustments up to 132MHz. Unfortunately, there are no CPU voltage modifications settings in the BIOS. Now the Celeron 2.2GHz ran fine at 2904Mhz (132Mhz FSB x 22.0 Multiplier) at default voltage, but I thought I could do better. So I applied the Vmod using a small wire strand to jumper two pins to increase the default voltage to 1.68v and then performed the BSEL0 mod to default the CPU to a FSB of 133MHz, which opens larger FSB settings. The BSEL0 mod was partially difficult. I had the option of breaking off the CPU pin, but I wasn't ready to do that. I tried to paint the pin with nail polish and white out and that's pretty much impossible. Everytime I tried the pin was not blocked from getting a signal. My final solution was to tear apart an old floppy cable and use the insulator from one of the wires on the pin I wanted to modify. This worked perfectly. Then the last thing I did was to get rid of the the thermal pad that came on the stock Intel cooler and used some of the Arctic Alumina Thermal Compound on the CPU. So how far did I get trying to overclock? I could get it to POST at 3.3GHz (150MHz FSBx22), but not boot. So I tried decreasing the FSB speed from that point and ended up at an 145MHz FSB, making the system run at 3193MHz (3.19GHz). At that point, I was able to successfully install WindowsXP and run Prime95 without any computational errors with a CPU temp of 53 degrees celcius at load.

Final Thoughs: A computer that runs at 3.19GHz is not bad for $370 and if you are looking for a tiny computer that won't break the bank, definitely check out the XP4 system. I think it was well worth my money spent on it.

Pictures:
XP4upper.jpg

Backplate.jpg

side.jpg

Other reviews:
Sharky Extreme: IWILL XP4 Mini-PC Review
SFF TECH: IWILL's XP4: The Budget Business SFF Solution
ClubOC: Iwill XP4 Cube Review
Hardware Analysis: Iwill's XP4 Mini-PC, cutting size but not performance
WhiningDog.NET: Review of the IWILL XP4 – The Cute Cubed P4 System

what temps are you running?
and please let me know when you fry the chip so that i can congradulate you because i doubt there is a safe amount of air flow through that mini case

Here are the benchmarks for this system:
Benchmarks

Summary (SiSoft):

CPU Arithmetic Benchmark:
Dhrystone ALU 9268 MIPS
Whetstone FPU/iSSE2 1844/4170 MFLOPS

CPU Multi-Media Benchmark:
Integer iSSE2: 12665 it/s
Floating-Point iSSE2 15951 it/s

Memory Bandwidth Benchmark:
RAM Int Buffered iSSE2 Bandwidth 1881 MB/s
RAM Float Buffered iSSE2 Bandwidth 1892 MN/s

Performance Rating: PR3508 (estimated)

Last edited:
That's a nice OC! These Celly's really need the extra FSB/memory bandwith gained from OCing to compensate for their small L2 cache. My Celly 2.0 @ 2.8 handles just about everything, runs SETI all the time, and pumps out over 10.000 3Dmarks...

Last edited:
Yup got to love the celly's i got my 2ghz celly @ 2.9ghz it can do more but i havent tried and it plays any game smooth and will run anything imho its way faster then a 1.8p4 northwood i know this look at my sig i have both the celleron and the p4 and the celly eats it up:p

Back