• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

celeron 300a - retro clocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dropadrop

Hi!

My trusty 233mx server just died, and I managed to get a used celeron 300a for practicly nothing. I took the dust off my trusty asus p3bf mobo, and threw it in. I can boot at 450mhz, (default voltage) but the heatsink seems to get fairly hot. After a while of running intenssive apps, it freezes.

I would imagine this is due to the fact that there's no fan on the cooler, and I was wondering how much higher I might be able to take her if I got a cooler with a fan?

batboy

Senior Moment
Some of those 300a Cellies would do 504. My old one I had years ago would only do 463 and still be stable. You definitely need a fan if you're overclocking that puppy. Consider removing the heatsink and applying some thermal paste too. I'm assuming this is a slot 1? You could stick a 50mm fan or sometimes two on most of those old heatsinks. If you could fit a 60mm onto it that would be better yet.

OP
dropadrop

dropadrop

I removed the heatsink as soon as I got it, and put some arctic silver 2 inbetween. I was very positively suprised that it did (though a bit unstable) 450 with standard voltage and no fan. I hope the fan will make a big diferance, though looking at them in the shop, the fan was pretty small compared to what I have on my athlon. I would have an extra delta fan that was on the athlon, but I don't really see how I could get it attached...

markodude

I had one of these - it did 450 at default vCore no probs, I had to use CPUFSB to do it as the bios had no 100FSB option, so I was surprised it was still 100% in Prime95.
All I did was bodge an 80mm Case Fan on it and it seemed fine, although I never had a temp sensor on the CPU to check....

M00CH

Ah the old 300a days.. that takes me back. i made a celly sandwich for mine. took the stock cooler and moved it to the back and got a pent 2 heatsink and put it on the front. with 3 fans on it it stayed frosty( well not frosty but cool enough)

just got a 300a of ebay with board should get here in a few days, ill have to see what this one can do..

OP
dropadrop

dropadrop

Are you saying I could put another cooler on that baby? I can get celeron and p2 coolers with the fan for 2€ so it would not break the bank. Can I just slap it on, or would it require alot of work?

quegyboe

hey, right up my alley! I'm running a Celeron 300A right now, check sig! This puppy will do 450Mhz stock voltage, but the mobo I'm using is an auto-detect Sono board, anyone know the pin mod for Slot 1 Celerons so the mobo will auto-detect the CPU and think it's a 100 FSB chip? Also, you might want to check to see if your multi is unlocked, because this one is and a Pentium 2 300 Mhz I once had was unlocked aswell...

M00CH

to get it to run at 100fsb you have to block of pin b11 i think but i would have to check in to it a bit.

Brosken

Registered
A tale of a Celeron 300a

Those cel 300a-cpus were great. I had one in combo with an Abit BH6. Had it for 3 years. Rock stable system. Had it at 464mhz (103fsb) at 1.9v with stock cooler (2.0v default). LOL. But then suddenly it started to freeze randomly so I lowered it a little to 450mhz and then it ran stable. One week or so later I opened up the case and what do I see?? The strap on one side of the heatsink had gotten loose. This means that the cpu had run in 450mhz (150mhz overclock) for a week without any type of cooling at all! Just the chip in the slot! So that was the explanation of the sudden lockups. LOL. Heck of a chip that didn't die after that treatment... :cool:

pain

I still have a 300a, but I'm not using it. I never used anything but a single HS/fan and it ran fine at 450. I've seen those sandwich type configurations, and I think it's a bit overkill to run it at 450.

raven

Wish my 300a would run stable at 450 =( maybe i should get a better power supply,??? using a 120w now =s

radawi

now i run my cel300 at 504Mhz n i've test it for a month,the fsb were112/37 n now i want to try it on 558Mhz.i've try it to run on 600 but it never load to windows....

it always says windows protection eror or windows registry checker,but when i'm back to 504 its no problem....
im using standard AMD athlon1,2 heatsink n fan

btw how to unlock the multiply????

JaY_III

Senior of BX
quegyboe said:
hey, right up my alley! I'm running a Celeron 300A right now, check sig! This puppy will do 450Mhz stock voltage, but the mobo I'm using is an auto-detect Sono board, anyone know the pin mod for Slot 1 Celerons so the mobo will auto-detect the CPU and think it's a 100 FSB chip? Also, you might want to check to see if your multi is unlocked, because this one is and a Pentium 2 300 Mhz I once had was unlocked aswell...

you need to disconnect pin B21.
just get a small piece of electrical tape and put it over the pin...
If memory server me correct it is 11 pins over on the bottom row of the back side of the CPU.
Pin B1 is located in the bottom right., so 11 over from that

radawi

how do i know if it was the right pin B21??what it will be if i put the tape in the wrong pin???

how do you know that pin B21 will unlock the multiplier?

teach me please...

JaY_III

Senior of BX
B21 will not unlock the multiplier at all.
it will change the defult FSB to 100 aposed to 66... the reason you use this "trick" is for MB's that auto detect the FSB

how do you know what is the correct pin, download the P2 datasheet from intel...

or click <url=ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumII/datashts/24333503.PDF> HERE </url>
now take a look at page 61 of the data sheet
and its give you the pin out....

if you still need help i can dig out a P2 and take out a pic for you

radawi

ive all ready try to down load the pdf file but i never get it....:(
i try it for 2days n it always end up with a page error....
would you give me the file through email???

for the fsb auto detect,i have no problem with that becouse i can switch off the auto detect on my mobo jumper.i all ready change it to 100

things that i dont understand ware,i cannot change the multiplier...can we unlock it?

couse from what i think if i could change the multiply i could get less fsb n less heat...right???

nut581

hmm .. good ol' days w/ celeron 300a .. my sister still uses it tho :) .. i overclocked the thing @450Mhz w/ default vcore and she's happy .. :D .. coz' the only software she uses r Winamp, Mirc, ICQ, and MSN messenger ... what a simple life :)

AntmanMike

You cannot unlock the multiplier on Intel chips (modern, that is.). Even if you could, it would still heat up since you are still Overclocking it. Most people with Engineering Samples lower the multiplier and raise the FSB.