• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 766 @ 100 MHz FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wunder

Registered
I want to up the FSB on my Celeron 766 to 100 MHz, what do i need?
I'm new to overclocking so any advice would be appreciated.

Phil

I much doubt you will run at a 100mhz fsb with air cooling, you would need a really good peltier with water cooling, it isn't economical cooling celerons with peltiers as if you got to 1.1ghz it would only be about as fast as a 900mhz p3, and you could get a p3 700 and over clock it to 933mhz-1ghz+ for less money that would out perform it and be less work

OP
W

Wunder

Registered
But my BX mobo dont support setting of PCI divider, so all of my PCI cards probably wont work @ 133 MHz FSB with P3 700.
Besides ive seen loads of posts about people running C600 @ more than 1 Gig FC!!!
Logically my 766 should be more oc-able than a 600...

dimmreaper

Wunder (Apr 05, 2001 05:10 p.m.):
But my BX mobo dont support setting of PCI divider, so all of my PCI cards probably wont work @ 133 MHz FSB with P3 700.
Besides ive seen loads of posts about people running C600 @ more than 1 Gig FC!!!
Logically my 766 should be more oc-able than a 600...
Well logic can be a ***** sometimes. The P6 .18u chips are difficult to get past 1GHz period. But I think you could hypothetically get the celeron to 100MHz FSB with some killer super cooling (water cooling and a 118W peltier ought to do it), but I'ts not worth the effort IMHO.

OP
W

Wunder

Registered
Already plotting on a home made water cooler with a car radiator and some killer waterpump and copper cooler block...

Are there such things as >200 W peltiers?

OP
W

Wunder

Registered
Is a switched PSU a must for peltiers?
Since my PSU probably wouldnt cope with the amps drawn by a peltier i thought i might get one of them small, cheap 220->24 V converters. That one could also power the waterpump. I aint going for any of those lame fish tank waterpumps, there are plenty of powerful and cheap pumps at http://www.elfa.se/en/

dimmreaper

It's best to have a dedicated PSU for any peltier with a Qmax(pumping ability) of 80W or greater.

Carmine_Paterno

Trust me on this one, IT ISN"T WORTH IT!!! Do yourself a favor, get a KK266 motherboard, a AXIA 1 ghz TBIRD from newegg.com and o/c that with supercooling, and you got yourself a supercomputer. CELERON's SUCK!!! LET ME TELL YOU!!! I have been trying to get my Celeron II 700 to 1050 (100 fsb) forever! Only Stable @ 966 (2.1v) Peace of crap Celeron! Tbirds/P3's/Duron's are much faster.

OP
W

Wunder

Registered
Well that would be a lot more expensive than what im thinking about. Consider this:
new case >50$
new mobo >150$
new processor >120$
thats at least 320$!!!!!!!!
The celly system lands at about 200$ and then i dont have to change more than the processor...
Everyone tells me to change to AMD but the total cost will get a lot higher, even if it has more oc potential!

Phil

did you not read the bit I put about super cooling celerons not being economical, if you knock off 200mhz off what ever speed you reach that is the speed a p3 would need to run at to perform the same as a celeron, for example my [email protected] only performs about as well as a 700-750mhz p3, so if you managed to get your chip up to even 1.2ghz which is unlikely even with a peltier a 1ghz p3 would perform as well, so a 700mhz p3 which is likely to get up to around 1ghz would peform as well as cost less than the peltier setup, you could even buy an AXIA tbird and a athlon motherboard for about the price of the peltier setup which would overclock to 1.4ghz+ and out perform it by a long shot, your best bet with that celeron is either to try and sell it over ebay or just settle for the highest fsb you can get stable