• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron acting unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

comenius

Hi,
I have a Celeron 2700 ( 27 x 100 ), i845PE motherboard and PC2700 RAM ( infineon 6ns ). The problem is that when overclocking it becomes unstable and I cannot figure out why.
I set the CPU voltage to 1,625V. When FSB=112MHz the machine is still fully stable, at 120MHz Windows still boots ( benchmarks freeze) but at 121MHz it doesn't boot anymore. In BIOS it wakes up at at least 125MHz, didn't try more. The system doesn't boot no matter if the voltage is 1,625 or 1,725V; it acts the same. So why can't I have a stable machine at FSB=120MHz? The motherboard is built for P4/533 ( FSB=132 ), so It should handle well. Ram is rated up to 166MHz so that should be OK. The CPU should be fine as there are still enough voltage capacitites to higher. So where's the problem?

Best regards

What is the exacty board make and model? Are you locking the PCI/AGP bus? In the bios do you see an option to lock the PCI/AGP, or set them at different dividers?

Thanks! I set the AGP to 33/66 and managed to overclock to FSB=125; continuing crashes the same way as before. So I guess I am happy now; I'm testing the stabilty at 120 as we speek ( I have to compile Linux as it is the ultimate benchmark - better than any Sandra or Futurmark product ). I really didn't expect to overclock this far with standrad cooling. The cooler is the original intel which shiped with celeron. I only removed that icky foam, polished the surphice and applied thermal gease. Fortunetly the case is the same one that I modifined four years ago for Athlon 1200. It's a full tower case ( if it's still called that way ), two 250W power supplies, three 80mm fans at the side and two at the top.

Thanks for the addvice! Any one has any other idea how to overclock more or how to increase stability?

Back